Thread poster: Barbara Andruccioli
Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:33
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Thank you Sylver Oct 23, 2003

At the outset let me thank you for your helpful hints. Fact is, I am yet to come to the stage of offering a professional service. The client I mentioned just asked me to see, whether it will be simple to translate with catscradle. I came to my first hurdle and you have given me valuable help. I am sure more hurdles will come and I will be constantly endeavouring to overcome them. There was this German story that I had saved as a Web page. There was no problem in translating that. It was actually... See more
At the outset let me thank you for your helpful hints. Fact is, I am yet to come to the stage of offering a professional service. The client I mentioned just asked me to see, whether it will be simple to translate with catscradle. I came to my first hurdle and you have given me valuable help. I am sure more hurdles will come and I will be constantly endeavouring to overcome them. There was this German story that I had saved as a Web page. There was no problem in translating that. It was actually a test translation imposed on me by myself. I then thought that every such translation is a cinch. It was not to be. Now too no deadline is involved. The work is still all explorations only.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

sylver wrote:

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

One client approached me for the translation of his website. He asked me to download the home page from the web and try to translate the same with the catscradle. I took a save as copy of the home page in my hard disk, opened the page (in html) with the catscradle. It did not open fully. I got this message: "This page uses frames, but your browser doesn't support them." What am I doing wrong? Please help?
N.Raghavan

is key. As unpleasant as my remark may sound, I believe that someone starting an HTML localisation job should know basic HTML.

A web page with frames is in fact made of several separate web pages. The page with frames itself merely gives a link to the actual pages and say where they should appear on the display. There is no real text on the page with frames (with the possible exception of a "no frames" tag). To better understand that concept, right click on the file you saved, choose "open with" and select "notepad".

The code will appear, and as you can see, the text is nowhere to be seen. CatCraddle can't translate what *does not* exist. You are simply using the wrong file.

Now, to get the pages you need, there are 2 ways:

1. The professional way. Get your client to send the files you need to translate. That's the only way that accomodates for all types of Web sites.

2. Cope solution: go to the web page. Right click on the part of the page where the text is displayed. Go to "properties". A pop up window will appear, and in the middle, it gives you the url of the page. Select it with the mouse and copy it (Ctrl+C). Close the property window. paste the url in the address bar of the browser and go. The actual page will be displayed alone, and at that point you can save it and translate it with Catcraddle or any other way. Repeat the procedure for every separate page from the frame page.

These informations should be enough for you to get some results, but please understand that you are not doing your client a favor when you undertake HTML translations without knowing at least some HTML. As good as Catscraddle (or any other program) may be, it is no substitute for understanding what you are doing. I don't mean you should stop offering web site translation, but you should definetly burn the midnight oil and learn some more on the subject.
Collapse

Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:03
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dreamweaver Oct 26, 2003

I use Dreamweaver too because it allows you to deal with ALL text without changing any html code. It looks difficult at first, but once you understand its logic, it's OK.
HTH.
Valeria

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, Dreamweaver Oct 26, 2003

Same opinion as Valeria.
Valeria Verona wrote:
I use Dreamweaver too because it allows you to deal with ALL text without changing any html code. It looks difficult at first, but once you understand its logic, it's OK.
HTH.
Valeria

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:03
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Trados TAG Editor Oct 26, 2003

The best way for me is - without the necessity to learn how HTML works - to get the files to be translated from the customer and then translate them all with Trados TAG Editor.

Trying to edit HTML in Word is a mess...
Actually one can edit HTML in Word without doing a mess of the files, but you must then open the files as "plain text" and be very carefull not to overwrite any TAGs - but this is too complicated to be a real option, worth thinking about it.

TAG Edit
... See more
The best way for me is - without the necessity to learn how HTML works - to get the files to be translated from the customer and then translate them all with Trados TAG Editor.

Trying to edit HTML in Word is a mess...
Actually one can edit HTML in Word without doing a mess of the files, but you must then open the files as "plain text" and be very carefull not to overwrite any TAGs - but this is too complicated to be a real option, worth thinking about it.

TAG Editor is simple to use and you have the advantage of your TM in the background.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of Web Pages

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »