Thread poster: Barbara Andruccioli
Barbara Andruccioli
Barbara Andruccioli  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:17
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 16, 2003

Sorry to trouble you, dear colleagues!
I am new to the translation of web pages.
I was asked to translate web pages: do I have to use FrontPage?
Is there any other programme to use?
Should I copy and paste the text into a word or txt document and then translate it and then work on it with Front page?
I am hopeless
sorry
Thanks for your help
Tsambika

Lorena Grancelli
Lorena Grancelli  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Web page translation Oct 16, 2003

Hi Tsambika!

I have translated some web pages and worked in different ways.
Most of the time clients send me the text in a word document and then they have to deal with HTML.
Some others tell me which program to use, as some programs may not be suitable for certain pages.
Most of the time I use Dreamweaver, I like it better than Frontpage. See if you can download it from the Internet. It is very simple to use and you edit the web pages directly.
Good luck!
... See more
Hi Tsambika!

I have translated some web pages and worked in different ways.
Most of the time clients send me the text in a word document and then they have to deal with HTML.
Some others tell me which program to use, as some programs may not be suitable for certain pages.
Most of the time I use Dreamweaver, I like it better than Frontpage. See if you can download it from the Internet. It is very simple to use and you edit the web pages directly.
Good luck!

Lorena
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:17
German to English
Translating web pages Oct 16, 2003

Hi tsambika,
I translate web pages all the time and know hardly anything about HTML and nothing about FrontPage. I've always copied the pages into Word and submitted the translation in Word. I would recommend asking the client if Word will be OK.
Best wishes, Kim

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
CatsCradle Oct 16, 2003

This is a very handy and simple to use CAT tool to translate web pages.
And it's free!
http://www.stormdance.freeserve.co.uk/

Regards,
Grace

giogi
giogi
first Oct 16, 2003

ask your client the format they prefer.
I agree with Graciela, the website she suggested is a bag of diamonds..
Sometimes you are asked to translate the HTML format.
In this case it's simple.
Open the Internet file you received.
Open the menu "View" and click on HTML.
Now you get your html page .
Overwrite the translated text on the source text.
Save.
Exit the HTML page.
Exit the Internet page.
Re-open the Internet file and you'll
... See more
ask your client the format they prefer.
I agree with Graciela, the website she suggested is a bag of diamonds..
Sometimes you are asked to translate the HTML format.
In this case it's simple.
Open the Internet file you received.
Open the menu "View" and click on HTML.
Now you get your html page .
Overwrite the translated text on the source text.
Save.
Exit the HTML page.
Exit the Internet page.
Re-open the Internet file and you'll view the translated web page.
Of course this works if they sent you a web page.
Good luck
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
The professional way Oct 16, 2003

The professional way would be to ask your client to send you the html files. To tag (mark as untranslatable) all encoding with PlusTools (I saw in your profile you use Wordfast) or with RWS Rainbow (both freeware). To translate the tagged files with Wordfast. After cleaning up the translated HTML will be just as good as the orginal HTML.

Regards,
Gerard

Syed Nasim uz Zaman
Syed Nasim uz Zaman  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:47
English to Assamese
+ ...
Don't worry be happy! Oct 16, 2003

Don't fret Tsambika!
Knowledge of MS-FrontPage is not neccessary to translate web pages.Just copy the content to a word file or pagamaker file and do the translating part.In fact if you use MS-Word you can directly convert the file to a webpage and deliver to your client.Just use a browser like Internet Explorer to see your job.
So dont worry be happy.
S.N.Zaman
tsambika wrote:

Should I copy and paste the text into a word or txt document and then translate it and then work on it with Front page?
I am hopeless
sorry
Thanks for your help
Tsambika

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
yes but... Oct 16, 2003

careful with this! you could end up messing up all the original formats in the html file!!

Always check with the client how they'll send the files and how they want them back.
If they send you html they most probably want it exactly like that (and exactly how it looks).

I mentioned CatsCradle because it is a simple and straight forward tool. You just open the html file, it extracts the text to translate and when you save you have the exact original file BUT transl
... See more
careful with this! you could end up messing up all the original formats in the html file!!

Always check with the client how they'll send the files and how they want them back.
If they send you html they most probably want it exactly like that (and exactly how it looks).

I mentioned CatsCradle because it is a simple and straight forward tool. You just open the html file, it extracts the text to translate and when you save you have the exact original file BUT translated.

Of course you can do it with PlusTools and WordFast, it's not difficult but it takes a tiny bit longer and you need to know what you're doing!

Syed Zaman wrote:

Don't fret Tsambika!
Knowledge of MS-FrontPage is not neccessary to translate web pages.Just copy the content to a word file or pagamaker file and do the translating part.In fact if you use MS-Word you can directly convert the file to a webpage and deliver to your client.Just use a browser like Internet Explorer to see your job.
So dont worry be happy.
S.N.Zaman
tsambika wrote:

I am hopeless
sorry
Thanks for your help
Tsambika
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:17
English to French
Word HTML Oct 20, 2003

Kim Metzger wrote:

Hi tsambika,
I translate web pages all the time and know hardly anything about HTML and nothing about FrontPage. I've always copied the pages into Word and submitted the translation in Word. I would recommend asking the client if Word will be OK.
Best wishes, Kim

is junk. Probably one of the lousiest HTML code generation you can find anyplace. Hell there are even utilities with the purpose of cleaning the added junk from Word's so called "HTML" (it actually isn't HTML).

As a result, the translated page is much heavier (longer download time - needlessly) then it should, and correcting or changing the code is hell. Further, the code being an hopeless piece of nonsense, pages created that way are much less likely to rank well in search engines.

If you are to handle web sites, I would strongly recommand to learn how it should be done properly, as Gerard suggested. It really isn't that hard, after all.

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Really a gold mine Oct 20, 2003

I am excited. I already downloaded the freeware. As a trial, I downloaded one webpage, took a saved-as copy and started the translation using the software. This translation is really a test translation but solely to enable me to see whether I am capable of doing the Website translation. I am now convinced and am confident for my future jobs.
By the way is this software capable of translating the help texts? Or is it necessary to have another software for the same?
Regards,
Raghavan
Graciela Carlyle wrote:

This is a very handy and simple to use CAT tool to translate web pages.
And it's free!
http://www.stormdance.freeserve.co.uk/

Regards,
Grace

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
it does everything :) Oct 21, 2003

Dear Raghavan,

As far as I know it does everything. It extracts ALL translatable text including tool tips (think that's what you mean by help text - the little boxes that appear when you hover over a link). At least it did the trick in a few pages I translated with it (I also use Wordfast, depending on the type of web page).

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

By the way is this software capable of translating the help texts? Or is it necessary to have another software for the same?
Regards,
Raghavan

Glad you found it useful
Grace.

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Alas, not everything Oct 21, 2003

One client approached me for the translation of his website. He asked me to download the home page from the web and try to translate the same with the catscradle. I took a save as copy of the home page in my hard disk, opened the page (in html) with the catscradle. It did not open fully. I got this message: "This page uses frames, but your browser doesn't support them." What am I doing wrong? Please help?
N.Raghavan

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:17
English to French
Understanding what you do Oct 22, 2003

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

One client approached me for the translation of his website. He asked me to download the home page from the web and try to translate the same with the catscradle. I took a save as copy of the home page in my hard disk, opened the page (in html) with the catscradle. It did not open fully. I got this message: "This page uses frames, but your browser doesn't support them." What am I doing wrong? Please help?
N.Raghavan

is key. As unpleasant as my remark may sound, I believe that someone starting an HTML localisation job should know basic HTML.

A web page with frames is in fact made of several separate web pages. The page with frames itself merely gives a link to the actual pages and say where they should appear on the display. There is no real text on the page with frames (with the possible exception of a "no frames" tag). To better understand that concept, right click on the file you saved, choose "open with" and select "notepad".

The code will appear, and as you can see, the text is nowhere to be seen. CatCraddle can't translate what *does not* exist. You are simply using the wrong file.

Now, to get the pages you need, there are 2 ways:

1. The professional way. Get your client to send the files you need to translate. That's the only way that accomodates for all types of Web sites.

2. Cope solution: go to the web page. Right click on the part of the page where the text is displayed. Go to "properties". A pop up window will appear, and in the middle, it gives you the url of the page. Select it with the mouse and copy it (Ctrl+C). Close the property window. paste the url in the address bar of the browser and go. The actual page will be displayed alone, and at that point you can save it and translate it with Catcraddle or any other way. Repeat the procedure for every separate page from the frame page.

These informations should be enough for you to get some results, but please understand that you are not doing your client a favor when you undertake HTML translations without knowing at least some HTML. As good as Catscraddle (or any other program) may be, it is no substitute for understanding what you are doing. I don't mean you should stop offering web site translation, but you should definetly burn the midnight oil and learn some more on the subject.

pascie
pascie  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:17
English to French
+ ...
Adobe GoLive Oct 22, 2003

This is what I use.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of Web Pages

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »