UK Apostille to be translated into Polish. Is it required?!?
Thread poster: adashoe
Nov 10, 2009

Hi everyone,

I am having a Power of Attorney by a London Public Notary drafted up for me in Polish and it will need to have an Apostille. The Public Notary in Warsaw (Poland being a member of the Hague Convention) states that the Apostille, a recognised international document, will need to be translated into Polish. The Public Notary here in the UK says that it doesn't

Help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:38
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Confusion Nov 10, 2009

Maybe there is some confusion here.

The Apostille is just a stamp that is added to the document itself, as such the Apostille should not require translating as it is an International Convention.

However the document on which the Apostille is stuck will require translating.

Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
you have to have it translated Nov 10, 2009

Alex Lago wrote:

However the document on which the Apostille is stuck will require translating

That's correct.

The piece of paper containing apostille is drawn up in English. Therefore, becuase RED TAPE is all over the place in Poland, you DO have to have the apostille translated into Polish by a sworn translator.

I am a sworn translator in Poland and I often have to translate such documents.

HTH

[Edited at 2009-11-10 20:14 GMT]

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bureaucracy Nov 11, 2009

Magdalena Szewciów wrote:

Therefore, becuase RED TAPE is all over the place in Poland, you DO have to have the apostille translated into Polish by a sworn translator.

I am a sworn translator in Poland and I often have to translate such documents.

HTH

[Edited at 2009-11-10 20:14 GMT]

Wow, did not realize Poland did that, what a nightmare. Any idea why they do that if the are signatories of the Hague Convention? I mean if the document is in Polish, all the apostille does is certify the document has been legally registered in the country of origin, and the apostille follows a standard format in French.

They will still need to see the physical apostille, as that is the only valid proof, and if the apostille is standard, why translate?

In theory is it even legal to make you do that? After all that's why they signed the convention to create a standardized way of proving the validity of a document in the country of origin.

Still as always governments will make you do what they want, so if Poland says you have to do it just grin and bear it and get it over with.

Ursula Dias  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:38
Member (2008)
French to German
+ ...
Bureaucracy - also in Portugal Nov 11, 2009

I made the same experience in Portgual: The Apostille has to be translated.

But no idea if this is legal ...

Even knowing that it is illegal what can you do when the authority where you want to deliver the document won't accept it without translation of the Apostillle?

From my perspective, it is easier and faster to translate the Apostille than to struggle with ignorant authorities!

Hoping for better times....

adashoe
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 11, 2009

Thank you everyone for the response. It's most appreciated to get some clear and concise feedback.

The update so far: The paper to which the Apostille is stamped will have to be translated. Yes you have read correctly - the 15 or so words will have to go to a certified translation agency and the certificate of translation itself will need to be translated

I hope this post serves as a useful point of information for anyone wishing to undertake a similar endeavour. If so...good luck!

Adam

adashoe
TOPIC STARTER
A good link (in Polish) Nov 11, 2009

Hi All,

here is a link to the Hague convention regarding Apostilles. It's in Polish so hopefully will educate those who need educating

http://www.hcch.net/upload/text12pl.pdf

In point 4 it states that the Apostille document should have the language of the Country where it has been requested (in my case English) and in French.

Ada,

dkalinic
Croatian to German
+ ...
The same in Croatia Nov 11, 2009

Ursula Dias wrote:

I made the same experience in Portgual: The Apostille has to be translated.

But no idea if this is legal ...

Even knowing that it is illegal what can you do when the authority where you want to deliver the document won't accept it without translation of the Apostillle?

From my perspective, it is easier and faster to translate the Apostille than to struggle with ignorant authorities!

Hoping for better times....

It's not any different in Croatia either. The Apostille has to be translated although I doubt it' legal.

Regards,
Davor

Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
:) Nov 13, 2009

Alex Lago wrote:
Still as always governments will make you do what they want, so if Poland says you have to do it just grin and bear it and get it over with.

Yup!
You wouldn't believe the problems some foreigners have here in Poland trying to live here as law-abiding citizens.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK Apostille to be translated into Polish. Is it required?!?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search