All upper case in Mexican legal documents
Thread poster: patyjs

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 2, 2009

I don't remember seeing many Mexican legal documents in anything other than all upper case. Similar British and US documents seem to use (infinitely more readable) lower case, with upper case reserved for SUPPLIER, BENEFICIARY, etc.

Am I right, then, to use lower case, in the English version of a Mexican legal document, as standard practice.

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with you Dec 2, 2009

Definitely, there's no need to duplicate this offensive habit.

Elías

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:38
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I haven't seen this Dec 2, 2009

I HAVEN'T NOTICED THIS IN THE MEXICAN LEGAL DOCUMENTS I HAVE TRANSLATED, BUT IT SEEMS TO ME THAT READING PAGES AND PAGES OF TEXT IN ALL UPPER CASE WOULD BE VERY HARD ON THE EYES, AND MIGHT WELL WARRANT A SURCHARGE....

[Edited at 2009-12-02 18:28 GMT]

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:38
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Shift - F3 Dec 2, 2009

Relating to your topic: in Word, highlight the offending text then tap on Shift-F3 a couple of times. Your text will miraculously change case.

I loved it when I learned this little trick. Have fun.

xxxAguas de Mar
Only if you are lucky to have an electronic version... Dec 2, 2009

Edward Potter wrote:

Relating to your topic: in Word, highlight the offending text then tap on Shift-F3 a couple of times. Your text will miraculously change case.

I loved it when I learned this little trick. Have fun.

I am afraid that the legal documents Paty is referring to were probably not submitted in electronic format (I have seen a few of those ugly things through my professional life, and do not even get me started about the quality of the language). Thus, there is no easy way out except, as Bob mentioned, to add a surcharge (if at all possible).

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wait... Dec 3, 2009

It's not the original I want to change from upper to lower case. I simply want to know if I can do my translation in lower case. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

xxxAguas de Mar
I think we undesrtood you right... Dec 3, 2009

patyjs wrote:

It's not the original I want to change from upper to lower case. I simply want to know if I can do my translation in lower case. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

... and Elías message pretty much sums up our thoughts. We were just commenting on how dreadful are such documents.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

All upper case in Mexican legal documents

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search