Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:30
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 25, 2003

Hello, everybody!

I usually have to translate PDF files and what I do is transform them into doc format. But the design is all lost. How do you go about this kind of files? Do you charge the same?
Thank you for your ideas.
Greetings from Buenos Aires,
Valeria

Direct link Reply with quote

Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 19:30
English to Urdu
+ ...
I charge for typesetting Oct 25, 2003

Valeria Verona wrote:

Hello, everybody!

I usually have to translate PDF files and what I do is transform them into doc format. But the design is all lost. How do you go about this kind of files? Do you charge the same?
Valeria

I always ask for the original source file, but if that is not provided then I charge for the typesetting.

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:30
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
PDF files and/or hard copies... Oct 25, 2003

Dear Valeria,
I do charge more for PDF files and/or hard copies. I use Trados and it is easier and a lot more convenient for me to have an (MS word) e-file. Sometimes, when the hard copy is in a good quality, I scan it and change it to an MS word file. This requires more time, that is why I charge more in this case. Hope this helps,
Monika

Valeria Verona wrote:

Hello, everybody!

... Do you charge the same?...
Valeria

[Edited at 2003-10-25 17:26]

Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Oct 25, 2003

azure_8 wrote:
I always ask for the original source file, but if that is not provided then I charge for the typesetting.

Do you you work directly on the pdf file? Or do you transform it?

[Edited at 2003-10-25 16:53]

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:30
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

OCR software is quite helpful Oct 25, 2003

Of course, charging more for typesetting is one of possible ways. But you may save lots of time using an appropriate OCR program. I, for example, use FineReader 6 in case I get a PDF instead of a DOC file. Just open PDF in FineReader, recognize as you usually do for an image file and send the text to Word. You'll get a file where 95% of original formatting is saved (including images, tables ets.) Please note, that not every OCR program may open PDF files.

To Valeria: PDF is not a format to work with. Though, of course, you can edit a PDF file in full version of Acrobat, typing in it takes ages, and only a single line can be edited at a time.

[Edited at 2003-10-25 17:50]

Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 19:30
English to Urdu
+ ...
difficult to type in acrobat Oct 25, 2003

Valeria Verona wrote:

Do you you work directly on the pdf file? Or do you transform it?

[Edited at 2003-10-25 16:53]

It is not easy to type in acrobat file, especially the Asian languages (Urdu, Arabic, Persian etc). and for me it is much easier to do typesetting in MS Office. though most of my clients either give me the original source file or dont want it typeset, so its simple typing.

Nigel Skipper
Swedish to English
PDFedit 995 Oct 26, 2003

PDF 995 (edit) is a free program available from www.pdf995.com. There is also a pro version which costs a few dollars.

The program allows you to create pdf's from any PC program that can print and also allows you to convert pdf's to html or MS Word .doc files. The only requirement is that you have a version of Word that is winword 2000 or later.

I use it all the time for converting pdf's to Trados usable files.

It doesn't save the formatting though and I tell my customers that they will receive a Word file in return.

//Nigel

Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tnx! Oct 26, 2003

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! Have a good Sunday
Valeria

Cecilia Di Vita  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:30
English to Italian
+ ...
I use that too Oct 28, 2003

Nigel Skipper wrote:

PDF 995 (edit) is a free program available from www.pdf995.com. There is also a pro version which costs a few dollars.

The program allows you to create pdf's from any PC program that can print and also allows you to convert pdf's to html or MS Word .doc files. The only requirement is that you have a version of Word that is winword 2000 or later.

It doesn't save the formatting though and I tell my customers that they will receive a Word file in return.

//Nigel

I find it very useful, and moreover it's very easy and user-friendly. A good utility.

Bye!

Cecilia

Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Local time: 20:00
English to Assamese
+ ...
Just don't know how to thank you. Oct 29, 2003

Nigel Skipper wrote:

//Nigel

I had been along sufferer of PDF blues. My Bengali and Assamese text just wont convert into PDF without font corruption. Taking cue from your suggestion I had just downloaded the PDF995 and tested it. It was simply wonderful. There was not a single case of Font corruption.Thank you again for freeing me from an old headache.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
How to convert a PDF to an editable format Oct 31, 2003

There are several software products on the market that will allow you to extract the text of a PDF document while preserving (to a large extent) the layout.
One of them is Gemini Solo from Iceni (www.iceni.com).
Recently, Scansoft has released a new product called "PDF Converter". It is cheap and produces excellent results. It installs a plug-in that will allow you to open a PDF file directly from WORD, converting it into WORD format. If you use Outlook, you can even click on a button when reading the mail message in which you received the PDF as attachment and it will automatically convert it to WORD format. The SW can be bought online (and downloaded and installed immediately) from Scansoft's website (www.scansoft.com).

OCRing the PDF document is also an option but takes more time, is more error-prone and should be used only in case the PDF document is protected and does not allow text extraction.

Walter

Valeria Verona wrote:

Hello, everybody!

Valeria

Pat Jenner
Local time: 15:30
German to English
+ ...
Can you unprotect the PDF document? Oct 31, 2003

I've recently started using Scansoft's product and have had mixed results - sometimes it works brilliantly but sometimes it doesn't produce anything. I was interested in Walter's comment that this happens when the PDF document is protected. Is it possible to unprotect the document? (i.e. is it like when you get a Word file that has been password-protected). Thanks for any feedback

Walter Blaser wrote:

There are several software products on the market that will allow you to extract the text of a PDF document while preserving (to a large extent) the layout.
One of them is Gemini Solo from Iceni (www.iceni.com).
Recently, Scansoft has released a new product called "PDF Converter". It is cheap and produces excellent results. It installs a plug-in that will allow you to open a PDF file directly from WORD, converting it into WORD format. If you use Outlook, you can even click on a button when reading the mail message in which you received the PDF as attachment and it will automatically convert it to WORD format. The SW can be bought online (and downloaded and installed immediately) from Scansoft's website (www.scansoft.com).

OCRing the PDF document is also an option but takes more time, is more error-prone and should be used only in case the PDF document is protected and does not allow text extraction.

Walter

Valeria Verona wrote:

Hello, everybody!

Valeria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of PDF files

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search