Thread poster: Francesca Botto

Francesca Botto
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:59
German to Italian
+ ...
Dec 16, 2009

Hi everybody,

I have a query which goes beyond my language pairs, and I would be interested to hear people's opinions.

In marketing material to non-English speakers in the UK (let’s say Arabic speakers), would it be appropriate to transliterate an address into Arabic script? For example, if a shop wishes to promote a product to Arabic-speaking communities in the UK and does this by sending a flyer, would it be appropriate to transliterate the shop address or should it stay in English?

I will be looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Francesca

Direct link Reply with quote

LittleGreen
Finland
Local time: 16:59
Japanese to Finnish
+ ...
Keep the original Dec 16, 2009

Personally, I'd keep the address in the original form, as it won't be written on any maps in Arabic letters and finding it could be considerably difficult without knowing the original address. I don't know Arabic so I don't know if this is true for it as well, but Russian transliterations often leave much to interpret (as in, it's difficult to say how the original was written). Also, in the case this non-English speaking person needs to ask someone how to get to the place, showing a line in Arabic would be incomprehensible for most passers-by.

If space isn't a problem, it's be possible to use both the original and a transliterated version so that the Arabic-speaking customers would know how to pronounce the address.

RichardDeegan
Local time: 08:59
Spanish to English
Huh? Dec 16, 2009

How would correspondence / courier services get to the shop?

shanasan
Local time: 17:59
English to French
+ ...
Agree with little green Dec 17, 2009

Its the best solution cause there will be changes in the pronounciation due to transliteration. And having both written on the flyer it be easier to show it to someone to ask for direction.

Francesca Botto
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:59
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good points Dec 17, 2009

Thanks to everybody who's taken the time to reply so far.

Unfortunately the leaflets are pretty small and printing both the Latin and Arabic script isn't a viable option.

For Richard: the translated/transliterated version of the leaflet will be delivered/posted to the Arabic-speaking customers only. For the English-speaking public, these will remain in English.

Pronunciation and correct transliteration back into English seem to be valid issues. If the potential customers receive the leaflet and decide to visit the shop, they might want to look it up online / punch the address into their GPS, etc., which might be a problem.

Thanks for your thoughts so far!

Francesca

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:29
English to Tamil
+ ...
Give the transliteration within brackets along with the English name only once Dec 18, 2009

Transliteration is meant for the Arabic knowing person to enable his pronunciation and giving it the first time is adequate for this purpose. Other times the English name may be retained.

This can be adopted for each name once.

Regards,
N. Raghavan

Francesca Botto wrote:

Thanks to everybody who's taken the time to reply so far.

Unfortunately the leaflets are pretty small and printing both the Latin and Arabic script isn't a viable option.

For Richard: the translated/transliterated version of the leaflet will be delivered/posted to the Arabic-speaking customers only. For the English-speaking public, these will remain in English.

Pronunciation and correct transliteration back into English seem to be valid issues. If the potential customers receive the leaflet and decide to visit the shop, they might want to look it up online / punch the address into their GPS, etc., which might be a problem.

Thanks for your thoughts so far!

Francesca

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transliteration query

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search