Translator introductions
Thread poster: Abremner
Abremner
United States
Local time: 16:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 9, 2010

I recently got my first translating job and have a small question.

I am translating emails between English and Spanish speakers, and have only met the English-speaking party, so my boss wants me to introduce myself to the other party in his first message. I'm not sure how to go about it though because the email I am translating is in first person tense and I feel awkward adding my own comments within the message because I can't think of a way to indicate the change in speaker.

Any suggestions? For a bit of context - the writer introduces me as the translator at the beginning of the email and then instructed me to introduce myself. After that he continues with the content of the message.

Thanks for any help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Eduardo García Soñanes
Mexico
Local time: 16:40
English to Spanish
Hola estimado (name of the Spanish-speaking person), ... Feb 9, 2010

Let me see if I understood what you need...

You can start with something like this:

Hola estimado (name of the Spanish-speaking person), mi nombre es (your name). Yo voy a traducir los mensajes de correo entre usted y (the English-speakin person) para que su comunicación sea fluida.

Hope this helps!
Eduardo García Soñanes

Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:40
English to German
+ ...
Italic Feb 9, 2010

I agree with Eduardo. To set your own introduction even more apart you can set that part in italic. That way the image of the e-mail already shows the separation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator introductions

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search