Spanish spending cuts start with proofreaders
Thread poster: John Rawlins

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 9, 2010

A high-ranking team from the Spanish government visited London yesterday to try and prevent further damage to the financial image of Spain.

The team arrived armed with a Powerpoint presentation and this was later released to the media.

Unfortunately, the Spanish government decided not to pay a professional translator to proofread the presentation.

Another reading might be that the government was trying to impress on City analysts that spending cuts had already begun - starting with proofreaders.

The presentation can be seen here:

http://estaticos.elmundo.es/documentos/2010/02/08/tesoro.pdf

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Leaving words untranslated Feb 9, 2010

An amusing read, John! How embarrassing for the Minister.

I started out thinking that the translator is obviously native, but probably not an economy expert. He/she probably left the "difficult terms" until the end, and then went off for a coffee and forgot to check them out. ***Letras del Tesoro by Holder***
And then, as you say, great cuts in proofreading for "quite" an important client.
It's always my worst nightmare: giving in a piece of work and then suddenly remembering that I've left "gaps". That's why I always solve my doubts as I'm going along, and then if I can improve it later, all the better.
Moral of the story: never leave words untranslated for later inspiration - it may never come.

P.S. When you're fluent in the source language, it's easy to make grammar slips when your translating. because it sounds "almost right" in the other language too.
***Same fiscal treatment than ownership***
But, a read through at the end (and a second read through by a proofreader) must pick up on all these slips.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, not very familiar with economics Feb 9, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

An amusing read, John! How embarrassing for the Minister.

I started out thinking that the translator is obviously native, but probably not an economy expert.

Yes, I agree that the translator is probably not very familiar with economics. However, he or she probably should be familiar with the word billion (spelt 'billon' in the presentation).

A very noticeable and recurring error is the semi-Germanic use of capitals: 'Large swing in private sector balance: plummeting Investment and soaring Savings'.

On page 22, the translator confuses compromise with commitment and writes: 'We have done it in the past which proves our compromise'.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Recovery will not come from the outside Feb 9, 2010

Most people in Spain with a lead position are ready and eager to work for growth, employment, and well-being of the country. The fact is though that these same people are buried in paperwork, the oddest taxes, useless requirements, a tall pile of laws and regulations (not only those from the EU, but also domestic ones), and very high income taxes, to name a few issues.

Unfortunately our "dear" Government is unable to grasp that recovery will not come from the outside: it will come from the inside if they accept the fact that entrepreneurs are an asset for any country, that Spain has very good, hard-working and imaginative entrepreneurs and workers, and that the State (and all the rest of regional, provincial, local governments) should help them as a main goal. As long as we can't see that and start doing things, Spain will only very slowly get out of trouble.

As history has proven many times, Spanish governments tend to do things when they (and the country as a whole) are in deep trouble. Mr. Aznar's conservative governments failed to do more things when they could, and we are all paying the consequences... in cash!

[Edited at 2010-02-09 12:36 GMT]

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I'm not very familiar with economics either... Feb 9, 2010

John Rawlins wrote:

Yes, I agree that the translator is probably not very familiar with economics. However, he or she probably should be familiar with the word billion (spelt 'billon' in the presentation).

A very noticeable and recurring error is the semi-Germanic use of capitals: 'Large swing in private sector balance: plummeting Investment and soaring Savings'.

On page 22, the translator confuses compromise with commitment and writes: 'We have done it in the past which proves our compromise'.

... So I won't comment on the translator's technical expertise. However, as well as the errors that John points out, there's a nice mix up of -ise and -ize in there (so two translators or a non-native? Surely no professional native English translator (or indeed NE speaker) would use "stabilisation", "organisation", "modernizing" and "authorized" in the same presentation?)

And another point which the translator may not have been able to address directly, but should certainly have pointed out to the client for correction: use of European number styles (5.000 etc. - p. 44, 11,4 etc. - p. 20) in the graphs. That would certainly seem to be a proofreader issue, as most of them have been corrected - just not all of them.

[Edited to kill an appalling grocer's apostrophe - no one spotted it, I hope!]

[Edited at 2010-02-09 14:50 GMT]

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ouch Feb 9, 2010

I couldn't bear to read more than a few pages. It had me writhing. Thanks John, but oh dear, what a comment on attitudes to our trade.

Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
not only Spain .... Feb 9, 2010

do a look here
http://www.proz.com/forum/italian/157399-lettera_aperta_ad_un_committente_speciale.html
this thread refers to the infamous Italian Tourism Official Website
(one of typical Italian scandals

the scandal in english:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121969807244970447.html?mod=todays_europe_nonsub_marketplace

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-02-09 20:10 GMT]

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Understandable Feb 9, 2010

I just flipped through half of it. I'm really not interested in spending any more time with it.

Despite a few grammatical mistakes and the like, it is largely comprehensible.

However, I agree with the original post. It needs to be proofread.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Link sent to all Spanish Treasury staff Feb 10, 2010

I have emailed a link to this thread to all the Spanish Treasury staff listed at the end of the presentation.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A private conversation? Feb 10, 2010

John Rawlins wrote:
I have emailed a link to this thread to all the Spanish Treasury staff listed at the end of the presentation.

I thought this was a private conversation among colleagues John... I now wonder whether I should delete my criticism to the Government.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't run for the border... yet Feb 10, 2010

Relax Tomás. I don't believe the Spanish government is overly sensitive to criticism of its use of English, or especially harsh with its critics.

However, there is a small danger that we may be rounded up in the next few days by the national police as part of a crackdown on the 'Jewish-Masonic conspiracy' - as perceived by government minister José Blanco.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I will try Feb 10, 2010

John Rawlins wrote:
Relax Tomás.

I will do my best...

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Spanish spending cuts start with proofreaders Feb 10, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

John Rawlins wrote:

I thought this was a private conversation among colleagues John... I now wonder whether I should delete my criticism to the Government.

@ Tomás:
While you criticize the previous government, which is the easy and comfortable exit of any government by eventualities like the current one, do not worry. You have nothing to be afraid of. Nevertheless, it turns out to be curious that our current President is the only one of the whole EC that does not have the minor command of English. You do not believe?

Said this, it is easy to understand that proofreading is not precisely a priority of our governement, since they anyhow do not understand absolutely nothing at all, at least in English...

@John
José Blanco is both: A masonic and of jewish origine.

[Editado a las 2010-02-11 08:46 GMT]

Bilbo Baggins
Catalan to English
+ ...
translating ... and proofreading Feb 11, 2010

John Rawlins wrote:

Unfortunately, the Spanish government decided not to pay a professional translator to proofread the presentation.

Looks like they didn't even hire a pro translator in the first place! There are many errors there that a professional wouldn't have made.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish spending cuts start with proofreaders

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search