https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/162404-could_be_pdf_files_opened_in_trados.html

Could be PDF files opened in TRADOS ?
Thread poster: Iraida Vozková
Iraida Vozková
Iraida Vozková
Czech Republic
Local time: 16:01
German to Czech
+ ...
Apr 10, 2010

Hello,

Could someone help me with answering the question

if PDF files could be opened in TRADOS?

thanks a lot

Irena Vozková

Sandra Peters-Schöbel
Sandra Peters-Schöbel
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
No, unfortunately not Apr 10, 2010

Hi,
no, they cannot be opened in Trados.
You need to convert them first into Word etc. (e.g. with ABBYY Fine Reader) and open them in Trados afterwards.

Be careful with projects in PDF - the convertion never is perfect, and sometime you
have a lot of layout problems and have to compare your Word with the PDF while translating. That takes much longer....

If you need help with converting, just let me know.

regards
Sandra

Iraida Vozková
Iraida Vozková
Czech Republic
German to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ABBY Fine Reader Apr 10, 2010

Hello Sandra,

thanks a lot for your answer.

I could have a translation job, but they required the convertion from dwg - AutoCad files
to ttx files in TRADOS. The agency could do the convertion from dwg to pdf, I should do the
convertion to word files.
The ABBYY Fine Reader would mean for me more expences, so I have asked the agency to
do the complete convertion. What the response will be, if any...

I will look for the recommended s
... See more
Hello Sandra,

thanks a lot for your answer.

I could have a translation job, but they required the convertion from dwg - AutoCad files
to ttx files in TRADOS. The agency could do the convertion from dwg to pdf, I should do the
convertion to word files.
The ABBYY Fine Reader would mean for me more expences, so I have asked the agency to
do the complete convertion. What the response will be, if any...

I will look for the recommended software.

Thanks once more
Best wishes

Irena
Collapse

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes, or rather, not really Apr 10, 2010

This is what the SDL Trados 2009 Help says about PDF:

"You do not need to prepare PDF files, but you do need Microsoft Word 2000 or later installed on your computer.

SDL Trados Studio uses Microsoft Word to support PDF files. It converts the PDF documents to Word format, translates them and then saves the document as a Word file."

In reality, it all depends on the PDF file. If is straightforward text with only an occasional picture stretching across the who
... See more
This is what the SDL Trados 2009 Help says about PDF:

"You do not need to prepare PDF files, but you do need Microsoft Word 2000 or later installed on your computer.

SDL Trados Studio uses Microsoft Word to support PDF files. It converts the PDF documents to Word format, translates them and then saves the document as a Word file."

In reality, it all depends on the PDF file. If is straightforward text with only an occasional picture stretching across the whole page, then it'll work. But if there are lots of text boxes and smaller pictures interspersed, forget it. The result will be a heap of text boxes with no connection in seemly random order.
Collapse

Perilla Piolon
Perilla Piolon  Identity Verified
Belgium
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
works fine Apr 10, 2010

Most pdf files work fine in (Trados) Studio 2009, like Jan Willem said, the file will be converted into a Word document, and you may have some trouble with the lay-out in Word, but it's manageable if you have some basic knowledge of how to work with graphics in Word. The only trouble you may have is when the pdf file is protected (there are plenty of programs available to unlock pfd files, I mostl... See more
Most pdf files work fine in (Trados) Studio 2009, like Jan Willem said, the file will be converted into a Word document, and you may have some trouble with the lay-out in Word, but it's manageable if you have some basic knowledge of how to work with graphics in Word. The only trouble you may have is when the pdf file is protected (there are plenty of programs available to unlock pfd files, I mostly use www.freemypdf.com).

Kind regards,
Perilla
Collapse

Iraida Vozková
Iraida Vozková
Czech Republic
German to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
pdf in TRADOS Apr 10, 2010

Dear collegues,

thanks a lot for Your helpfull answers.

Best wishes

Irena Vozková

Ana Elisa Igel
Ana Elisa Igel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:01
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
PDF FILES Apr 11, 2010

You could open PDF files in TAG EDITOR, a program that comes with Trados.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not true Apr 12, 2010

Ana Elisa Igel wrote:

You could open PDF files in TAG EDITOR, a program that comes with Trados.

Hello Ana,
I'm afraid you are absolutely wrong with this. PDF files are in fact images (some with a text layer – e.g. exports from Word, some w/o one – e.g. scanned files) and these cannot be simply opened in any CAT tool.

Most of them, provided their layout is not too tight, can be recognized with optical character recognition (OCR) software, sent to an external application (e.g. MS Word) and only then opened in a CAT tool.

What Studio 2009 does with text-based PDF files is very much the same: it uses a built-in OCR engine to run the optical character recognition, exports the results into Word and imports the Word file as SDLXLIFF.

To sum it all up, the process to use is:
1. Use an OCR software (such as ABBYY Fine Reader) to convert image into text
2. Send the results into an external application (such as MS Word)
3. Open the external format in a CAT tool

However, you should always bear in mind that an OCRed text usually needs a lot of post-processing before it can be onpened in a CAT tool. Otherwise it is very likely to overflow with unnecessary tags which will make you focus more on maintaining the source layout rather than on the translation itself.

Irena, just for info: StarTransit features a DWG add-in filter (priced at around € 1,000).

[Upraveno: 2010-04-12 10:03 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could be PDF files opened in TRADOS ?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »