https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/163133-what_to_do_when_quotes_in_a_translation_dont_fit.html

What to do when quotes in a translation don't fit?
Thread poster: Ulrike H
Ulrike H
Ulrike H
Local time: 10:56
English to German
+ ...
Apr 20, 2010

First of all, sorry for what is probably a very basic question... I am not really a translator, or not one yet, I signed up here more because it is a field I am interested in.

I am currently translating a text as a favour to a relative - he has to give a presentation in English and asked me if I couldn't translate an article he has written a while ago for that... The article is about a few poems, and in the article, he quotes the bible, showing how biblical language is used in parts
... See more
First of all, sorry for what is probably a very basic question... I am not really a translator, or not one yet, I signed up here more because it is a field I am interested in.

I am currently translating a text as a favour to a relative - he has to give a presentation in English and asked me if I couldn't translate an article he has written a while ago for that... The article is about a few poems, and in the article, he quotes the bible, showing how biblical language is used in parts of the poems - he give examples of words that are used both in specific bible verses, and in the poems. He gave me specific translations of the poems that I should use.

Now, the problem is, that in the bible translations I have checked so far, these quoted words are not the same ones as are used in the translated versions of the poems. I will try to find other bible translations - but what would you do if there aren't any versions that fit? I was considering to work with foot notes, but as this will be an oral presentation, I suppose that doesn't really work...

(My relative told me it isn't that important, and he will just read it with the words in question not being the right ones, but since I suppose I might be confronted with similar problems again, I would be really interested in what is usually done in such a situation...)
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Bible Varies Apr 20, 2010

I am not a biblical scholar at all, but when having to deal now and then with biblical quotes, I have discovered that there can be many different versions of the same thing, even among different Catholic bibles or Protestant bibles, etc.

I just take whatever version I can find and go with it. So just go with the flow.

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:56
English to German
+ ...
Tool for comparing bible versions/translations Apr 20, 2010

The "Bible Gateway" is a tool for reading and researching the Bible, in the language, version or translation of your choice. It allows you to search for and compare particular passages in scripture based on keywords, phrases, or scripture reference.

You can, for instance enter the term “season” (as in: “To every thing there is a season”), find the corresponding verse (Ecclesiastes 3. 1-8) and compare the German translations of it (i.e. “Zeit” in the Luther Bible 1545)<
... See more
The "Bible Gateway" is a tool for reading and researching the Bible, in the language, version or translation of your choice. It allows you to search for and compare particular passages in scripture based on keywords, phrases, or scripture reference.

You can, for instance enter the term “season” (as in: “To every thing there is a season”), find the corresponding verse (Ecclesiastes 3. 1-8) and compare the German translations of it (i.e. “Zeit” in the Luther Bible 1545)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/

Hope this helps!

johanna
Collapse

Ulrike H
Ulrike H
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 20, 2010

That link is really good! I think that will help me a lot.

Thanks for your replies!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Translate the quotes Apr 20, 2010

Ulrike H wrote:
Now, the problem is, that in the bible translations I have checked so far, these quoted words are not the same ones as are used in the translated versions of the poems. I will try to find other bible translations - but what would you do if there aren't any versions that fit.

I believe it would be acceptable to translate the Bible verses directly yourself, and indicate which book, chapter and verse it is, without mentioning which "version" or translation of the Bible you've used (since you didn't use any... you used your own brain).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do when quotes in a translation don't fit?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »