handling of txt.-type documents
Thread poster: Joakim Löfberg

Joakim Löfberg
Local time: 18:39
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 1, 2010

Could anybody please advise on how to handle a txt.-type document? The text is embedded in html-type encoding and when opening the document in Notepad it's hard to keep an overview and to know what must be translated and what not. What must I do in order to translate this type of document as smoothly and hassle-free as possible?

Direct link Reply with quote

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:39
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Answer may be already here May 1, 2010

This recent forum conversation may help you to answer your question:
http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/163169-website_translation_do_i_need_software_to_approach_html.html

Oliver

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What sort of file is it again? May 1, 2010

Joakim Löfberg wrote:

The text is embedded in html-type encoding

That makes no sense. HTML isn't an encoding, it's a tagged file format. I'm guessing that your file is either HTML or some sort of XML, i.e. it contains HTML-type tags. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Html#Markup
(BTW the file extension itself is mostly irrelevant. These are all txt files underneath, the HTML or XML extension is only an indication of what sort of tags to expect in there. Your particular file might have been renamed to txt to make it easier for computer-illiterate people to open with a text editor.)

Anyway, what you should do depends on what the exact format is and what your client expects from you. I'd guess you are probably expected to translate the content in between the tags and leave all the tags unchanged. I'm not sure how each CAT can do this for you, and in any case, you never even told us what CAT you have.

Also, the thread title is also way off base. TXT files are the easiest in the world to handle... the thread should say "Handling tagged files"... if I understood you correctly, anyway.

[Edited at 2010-05-01 11:12 GMT]

Ahmed Maher  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
Notepad++ May 1, 2010

Hi,
Try using Notepad++, I have used it to handle a huge project. You can open your files with it, and you will find the text that need to be translated with a bold black font while the code text will be in another color and font.
It is freeware program, and you can download the latest version here
http://www.filehippo.com/download_notepad/download/cef9ede6fdb9cf7fd04b6900b911cbf9/

Regards,
Ahmed Maher

[Edited at 2010-05-01 11:31 GMT]

Joakim Löfberg
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 1, 2010

Thank you for your advice, it's been helpful. Sorry for my ignorance. The text format is this:

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"

[Edited at 2010-05-01 16:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

handling of txt.-type documents

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search