Thoughts on register in a thesis
Thread poster: patyjs

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 17, 2010

I am currently translating a medical thesis which involved a clinical trial conducted in 2009. One of the appendices is the informed consent, specific to the trial, signed by participants. My own feeling is that the register is more suited to medical personnel than patients, however, since the translation is (presumably) for academic rather than practical purposes, I am inclined to follow the register used by the author.

Any thoughts?

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely May 17, 2010

...the informed consent, specific to the trial, signed by participants. My own feeling is that the register is more suited to medical personnel than patients...

Is not that always the case? You would be hard put to find one with simple language adjusted to the patient.

Just follow the register used by the author.

Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:24
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree. May 17, 2010

I work a lot with this sort of document, and the register for medical consent forms (or any legal consent form) is rarely if ever designed for the easy digestion of those signingicon_smile.gif.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thoughts on register in a thesis

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search