SEO and Translation
Thread poster: Lingo24 Ltd

Lingo24 Ltd
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:03
Member (2009)
English
May 20, 2010

I would be interested to know if anyone handles any SEO work related to translation. By that I mean translation of SEO keywords, or even SEO in a different language than their own. I am not sure if these two can be harmoniously combined and whether there can be drawn a workflow for this mixture.
If yes, how would someone quote for something like this?

Thank you.
Dana

(Vendor Manager at Lingo24.)

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:03
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Like translation, SEO work is best done in one own's language May 20, 2010

Lingo 24 wrote:
I would be interested to know if anyone handles any SEO work related to translation.

I do.

By that I mean translation of SEO keywords,

Although I have done it occasionally (at the client's explicit request), straight translation of SEO keywords doesn't make much sense.
What is interesting, from an SEO perspective, is to find out what "equivalent" keywords are actually used by Internet users in the target language/country, and to provide these keywords.

Translating Google Ads is an interesting challenge, because of the drastic space limitations.

or even SEO in a different language than their own.

I'm not sure what would be the point of that.

I am not sure if these two can be harmoniously combined and whether there can be drawn a workflow for this mixture.

Do you mean a mixture between linguistic and SEO expertise?
Both are needed.
In addition to a very good command of the target language and SEO expertise, you need also a very good understanding of the source language, so that you can understand the context of the source web site, its keywords, etc.

If yes, how would someone quote for something like this?

SEO work is typically invoiced on an hourly basis, although a flat fee is often negotiated in advance for a given task (e.g., find 20 appropriate keywords for a given web site).

Didier

Lingo24 Ltd
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:03
Member (2009)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Translation of keywords May 20, 2010

I am not sure if these two can be harmoniously combined and whether there can be drawn a workflow for this mixture.

Do you mean a mixture between linguistic and SEO expertise?
Both are needed.
In addition to a very good command of the target language and SEO expertise, you need also a very good understanding of the source language, so that you can understand the context of the source web site, its keywords, etc.

Does it ever happen that you translate keywords for instance? Just translate them and then do the research? I think this is my question actually: how does this go, how does it happen?
You get a list of words that you need to translate into your native language and then research on them? Or do you do directly SEO? Is there any localization work involved?
I hope my questions are pertinent.

Thank you very much for replying.

Felipe Gútiez  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
Very interesting topic May 20, 2010

This is a new incredibly big source of translation. First keywords. Then software. Then the whole website. Then the recurrent articles.
Highly attractive revenue possibilities.

France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Straight translation is usually not useful May 20, 2010

Lingo 24 wrote:

Does it ever happen that you translate keywords for instance? Just translate them and then do the research?

As I wrote, straight translation of keywords makes little sense. Because you will get a good translation, but not keywords that Internet users actually use.

I think this is my question actually: how does this go, how does it happen?
You get a list of words that you need to translate into your native language and then research on them? Or do you do directly SEO? Is there any localization work involved?
I hope my questions are pertinent.

One workflow is like this:
You receive a web site, and a list of corresponding keywords.
For each of them, you translate it "on the fly" during your research, to try and find an equivalent phrase in the target language. If a translation corresponds to something actually searched by people in the target language, the task is done.
Otherwise, you have to become imaginative, and try to imagine what people *could* search. This is where target culture competence (language/country/industry/etc.) is paramount.
This can involve also intensive research on competitors web sites both in the source and in the target language.

Or you are given not source keywords, but a theme (our client is in the xxx industry and is targeting specific professionals, to which we want to sell...) and you have to provide corresponding keywords.
In that case, no translation is involved at all.

Often it is a mix. E.g., I want 5 keywords "translated" for each page, plus you have to find 10 additional keywords that you think fits well with that page.

By localisation, if you mean translating the actual web site, it depends on the purpose of the keywords. Do you need them for SEM (i.e., paying ads), or to be used in text link sentences, or as the basis of the web site translation/writing itself?

There is no single way of proceeding, it all depends on the project.

To answer differently your question, the pure SEO work is monolingual (in the target language), but finding "equivalence" requires linguistic and cross-cultural skills.

Didier

Felipe Gútiez  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
Google tool May 20, 2010

https://adwords.google.es/select/KeywordToolExternal

There is a tool from google where you can search for "similar" words being used as keywords in search for the same topic.
But as Didier said, generally speaking, you have to be quite creative in this area. I like it.icon_smile.gif

[Editado a las 2010-05-20 16:08 GMT]

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
Beyond keywords May 20, 2010

Keywords are only part of the SEO equation, and increasingly meta tags and title tags are carrying less weight in the Google algorithm. Page URL text, use of words in the same neighborhood rather than same keywords over and over have an increasingly significant impact on the algorithm. Use of XML site maps, Google webmaster tools are likely more important than merely translated key words. Additionally, does the site have a localized subdomain like fra.proz.com is that subdomain optimized for Google.fr and are others suppressed or redirected?

High level SEO is a full time job, but a translation professional with a basic understanding of SEO process can offer a more complete solution to their clients (translation and optimization) and possibly a competitive differentiation and means to win more clients and justify higher rates.

The more I learn about SEO and Google the more I realize I don´t know anything at all about SEO.

Drew

France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Keywords outside the meta tags May 20, 2010

Drew MacFadyen wrote:
Keywords are only part of the SEO equation, and increasingly meta tags and title tags are carrying less weight in the Google algorithm. Page URL text, use of words in the same neighborhood rather than same keywords over and over have an increasingly significant impact on the algorithm. Use of XML site maps, Google webmaster tools are likely more important than merely translated key words.

Indeed, I was not talking at all of keywords inside the meta tags (from a technical point of view), but of keywords as used in an SEO process.

Didier

Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Not that simple Jul 2, 2010

I've had quite a few websites to translate, both through agencies and through direct customers. It is incredible how many misconceptions there are on this subject, and how little people actually know about what SEO and website translation involve and how to combine these. The ignorance is so great that most customers and agencies provide the text in Word!

The very first thing that we should realize is that there is on-page SEO and off-page SEO. The translator can handle -provided he knows how- the on-page SEO, but unless he offers a full SEO service the off-page SEO (e.g., links from directories in the target language) is totally abandoned. And this means that the translated page -on matter how on-page SEO has been performed- will be next to invisible in the search engines.

But even the on-page SEO is more than just keywords. There are metatags, descriptions, titles, even the "alt" attributes that contribute to the SEO juice. This is not "just" translation (which might be difficult enough), this means a lot of research, hence that this is quite expensive.

Even just a "simple" element like keywords is problematic. Felipe Gútiez points out to the Google keyword generator, which is not bad - but you need to be able to interpret the results, and adopt the proper keywords for SEO. If you take a keyword simply because it has a lot of searches, I can guarantee that you will never get to rank #1 in Google (and yes, I have 3 sites ranking #1 for translation-related keywords).

In case you're interested, I just created a blog on exactly this subject. You can find it at http://www.seo-translator.com

Feel free to continue there the discussion.

[Editado a las 2010-07-02 13:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SEO and Translation

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search