https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/17151-optimizing_glossary_search_on_proz.html

Optimizing Glossary Search on proz
Thread poster: Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:05
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 6, 2004

Hi everybody,

I was just trying to look up terms with the "Search Glossaries" function. It works fine as long as my term is not too short.

For example, i tried to find the term "tab" in the English>German combination, but ended up with a huge list of words containing the letter combination t a b, like "ZaubersTAB", "respecTABle", "suiTABle" and so on.

The " " function that I would use on google seems not to work here.

Are there ways of optimi
... See more
Hi everybody,

I was just trying to look up terms with the "Search Glossaries" function. It works fine as long as my term is not too short.

For example, i tried to find the term "tab" in the English>German combination, but ended up with a huge list of words containing the letter combination t a b, like "ZaubersTAB", "respecTABle", "suiTABle" and so on.

The " " function that I would use on google seems not to work here.

Are there ways of optimizing my search for these short words?

Thank you for your suggestions.
Collapse

Leonardo ParachĂș
Leonardo ParachĂș  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
You might as well try... Jan 6, 2004

...adding a blank space before and after your query:

" tab ".

I tried that and it worked.

I hope it can do the trick for you too.

Regards,
Leonardo.

[Edited at 2004-01-06 17:21]

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 17:05
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Leonardo is right Jan 6, 2004

it is the solution.

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PERFECT!! It works! Jan 6, 2004

Leonardo ParachĂș wrote:

...adding a blank space before and after your query:

" tab ".

Thanks, you two!

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Another problem Jan 6, 2004

There is also another problem that I fear is a bug about these long searches. I posted a topic about this a few weeks ago but apparently it was lost before it even appeared in public.

When you make a kudoz search with several pages of results, the "next" hyperlink does not work. It used to a few months ago but it hasn't worked for me for a while now; instead of the further results, a blank page appears and even the search parameters are cleared (no string, no languages, just the emp
... See more
There is also another problem that I fear is a bug about these long searches. I posted a topic about this a few weeks ago but apparently it was lost before it even appeared in public.

When you make a kudoz search with several pages of results, the "next" hyperlink does not work. It used to a few months ago but it hasn't worked for me for a while now; instead of the further results, a blank page appears and even the search parameters are cleared (no string, no languages, just the empty fields). I am using several browsers so I tend to think it's not me but the site itself that's working badly. Can anyone confirm?

It would also be very nice if this "next" hyperlink (assuming it works appeared also at the bottom of the page, as well as at the top of the search results. It's more logical and easier for the user, IMO.

Ruben
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:05
Spanish to English
an improvement Jan 6, 2004

I rely heavily on the ProZ glossaries and it would be pure luxury for me if I could have a default language pair both in the search glossaries function and in my own glossary for entering terms.
This is not a complaint, just a wish list.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 17:05
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Have you tried "Internet Search" in KudoZ? Jan 6, 2004

Hi

I don't know the problem about which Ruben is talking. In fact, since I know the "Internet Search" in KudoZ (nothing to do with KudoZ.Net, I say this because when I talked about it to some friends they thought that I was talking about KudoZ.Net), I seldom look in the glossaries. And I think that it can also be a partial answer to Lesley's wishes.

If you select Internet Search, you can save your languages and the tools (dictionaries, Search engines, KudoZ glossaries)
... See more
Hi

I don't know the problem about which Ruben is talking. In fact, since I know the "Internet Search" in KudoZ (nothing to do with KudoZ.Net, I say this because when I talked about it to some friends they thought that I was talking about KudoZ.Net), I seldom look in the glossaries. And I think that it can also be a partial answer to Lesley's wishes.

If you select Internet Search, you can save your languages and the tools (dictionaries, Search engines, KudoZ glossaries) that you want to use.
Every time you call Internet Search again you'll find your previous choices.

Hope it helps.
Collapse

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Question not solved, I fear Jan 7, 2004

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

I don't know the problem about which Ruben is talking. In fact, since I know the "Internet Search" in KudoZ (nothing to do with KudoZ.Net, I say this because when I talked about it to some friends they thought that I was talking about KudoZ.Net), I seldom look in the glossaries.

Hope it helps.

Yes it does Claudia, thank you.

The point I was trying to make is, the "Search Glossaries" function doesn't work correctly in any of my 6 browsers (which work on 2 different OS's). I fear it's a bug of the site, so I'm just ringing the bell. Now, it could very well happen that there's no point to do it since all search options will be soon integrated under the "Internet Search" page, but if so, I would greatly appreciate some kind of confirmation. BTW, I got a long string of sql errors on my first "Internet Search", KudoZ tab. Is this normal, does anybody else get it?

I can go into further details about the errors I am getting in case the programmers are interested (I am pretty sure they're working hard on all these things so this kind of input should be welcome), but of course this may not be the appropriate forum to do it.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Rb

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:05
Spanish to English
Thanks Claudia but... Jan 7, 2004

Thanks for you suggestion Claudia, but I've never found that the internet search button helps me at all. I take very long to tell me that it has nothing for me. But everyone is different and maybe I'm not using it properly. However I love the search glossaries, and I can put up with having to make the language settings everytime.
Thanks anyway.
Lesley

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Tried 'save settings' ? Jan 8, 2004

Hi Lesley,

Lesley Clarke wrote:

it would be pure luxury for me if I could have a default language pair both in the search glossaries function and in my own glossary for entering terms.

Do you notice a 'save settings' button to the bottom right of the glossary search window? If you set up your language pair and any other preferences, that button should save them for all future searches. It seems to be working for me...

I agree with you about entering terms, this would be a lot quicker if there was a save settings feature on that page too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Optimizing Glossary Search on proz

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »