Should I translate the headings of a manual for a remote control?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 12, 2010

These are the headings:

Time NO
Timer Mode
Wakeup Channel
Wakeup Date
Ontime
Duration

These headings will all be displayed when using the remote control.
So if I translate the headings only in the written manual, how would the
user understand how to use the remote control if the headings in the
manual are in Swedish and the same headings on the remote control are
displayed in English?

Direct link Reply with quote

Sihotsky
Slovakia
Local time: 07:15
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
I usually put the translated text into bracket or parenthesis Jun 12, 2010

I usually put the translated text into bracket or parenthesis. In this case there are both headings on remote control and in written manual.

Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:15
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Agree with Sihotsky Jun 12, 2010

However you may want to confirm it with your client - they are likely to appreciate you verifying these things with them.

If you cannot contact them as it is weekend, and have an early deadline say on Monday, I would add in the same e-mail as you attach the completed translation, what you have done. Then if they want it done in a different way, they can just send it back to you for a quick edit.

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it enough to put the translation of the heading within parentheses once only? Jun 12, 2010

Thanks Sihotsky, I did as you suggested.

But what about when the same abbreviation/heading turns up more times in the text, can I leave it untranslated then? Is it enough to put the translation of the heading within parentheses once only?

If the text that follows the heading is short I guess I don't need to write out the translation again, but if there are images and a longer text perhaps I could put my parenthesized translation also in the text, at least once.

Sihotsky
Slovakia
Local time: 07:15
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
It depends on the sense Jun 12, 2010

It depends on the sense. I always suppose that I am an operator reading this manual.

Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:15
Danish to English
translate headers and footers Jun 12, 2010

I normally translate both headers and footers, if the text is something that is necessary for understanding or using the translation. Often the header is just a business name, address, etc. , and then I do not translate it.
I always tell the client if I do translate the header. I have never had a complaint about doing that. There is probably no standard practice,so it would be best to ask your client.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:15
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Only once Jun 13, 2010

I think only once in parentheses - in the actual heading - would suffice. It sounds from your description as if the user will have to get familiar with the English terms anyway. But I would also check with the client if possible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search