Professional Translators and Web 2.0 Technologies Based on Openness, Sharing and Collaboration
Thread poster: Joanna Gough

Joanna Gough  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:21
Jul 19, 2010

Hello everyone,

My name is Joanna and I am a postgraduate student at Univeristy of Surrey. I am currently writing my MA dissertation and for this purpose I have developed this short questionnaire to ascertain the views of professional translators towards the new trends of openness, sharing and collaboration associated with web 2.0 technologies. Not much research has been carried out in this area and I'm hoping to contribute to the general pool of knowledge and to a better understanding of where professional translators are in relation to the changes that affect industries globally.
In the spirit of collaboration, I hope the members of this forum will participate in this questionnaire. Please feel free to ask any questions and feel free to comment on the questionnaire. The results will be provided to anyone interested.

Here is the link: Click here to take survey

Thank you. Joanna

[Edited at 2010-07-20 09:05 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:21
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Done! Jul 28, 2010

I've just completed your survey. I did open it when you posted a week or so ago, but I was put off when I saw that it would take "10-15" minutes to complete.

Most of us who are active on proz probably procrastinate more than we would like to (or at least I certainly do), but to plan 15 minutes of my time in advance away from the job I have in hand is harder to do. This could explain why you haven't had much response.

For other's information, I took less than 10 minutes to complete it. It is very well structured. No hiccups at all.icon_smile.gif

P.S. Off-topic: I played the violin in the Univ. of Surrey symphony orchestra many years ago!

United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
thank you for your post Jul 28, 2010

Emma, thank you for completing my questionnaire and for your kind comments. Yes, it actually takes about 10 minutes on average to complete and I will amend the intro on the questionnaire.

I commented on the group age on the 'why do we hate questionnaires forum', but just to give an indication, I'm not interested in age as such, but I'm exploring personal attitudes which don't have to be strictly age related.

Best wishes,
Joanna

Chiara Cherubini  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
Done! Jul 29, 2010

I´ve done it.. Interesting topic for a dissertation, I think!

Chiara

Joachim Dietlicher MSc (BDÜ)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
me too :) Jul 29, 2010

Have also done it...

And was just wondering if you were using SurveyMonkey's free registration or if you were using their pro version for your project.

Also, would be nice to hear about your experience using this tool.

Thank you!

United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
survey monkey experience Jul 29, 2010

Joachim Dietlicher wrote:

Have also done it...

And was just wondering if you were using SurveyMonkey's free registration or if you were using their pro version for your project.

Also, would be nice to hear about your experience using this tool.

Thank you!

Hello Chiara and Joachim,

Thank you so much for completing my questionnaire.

Joachim,

I'm using the pro version and I must say it is quite good as far as I can tell. The only thing I could not do is to skip logic between questions, which was annoying. Skip logic only worked between pages, which wasn't very useful in my case. Otherwise, it has good features. I can filter, crosstab, download customised graphs etc. Hope it helps, but feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Best wishes,
Joanna

[Edited at 2010-07-29 17:24 GMT]

Joachim Dietlicher MSc (BDÜ)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
help Jul 30, 2010

askaska wrote:

Hope it helps, but feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Best wishes,
Joanna

Hello Joanna,

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, this helps a lot. And as I will also carry out a survey in the not too distant future, I may contact you indeed.

Thanks again.

Joachim

United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
questionnaire Jul 31, 2010

And as I will also carry out a survey in the not too distant future, I may contact you indeed.
[/quote]

Joachim,

Please do and I will support you best I can:)

Have a nice weekend!

Joanna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional Translators and Web 2.0 Technologies Based on Openness, Sharing and Collaboration

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search