Take part in research on translating English adjectives!
Thread poster: KHalonen
Jul 20, 2010

Hello,

I'm doing a research project for my Master's degree at King's College, London about the challenges involved in translating personality related adjectives. I would very much like to hear from translators who either translate to or from English. The survey has 16 questions and takes about 10 minutes. I would really appreciate your help!

Please enter the survey here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/translationchallenges

After completing the survey you can enter your contact details and take part in a prize draw of 5 Amazon e-gift vouchers of £10 (or equivalent in euros).

Thanks a lot for your help!
Katja Halonen-Knight

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:26
Italian to English
Error Jul 20, 2010

For the page with the question:
"Again, please look at these words and think about how positive or negative they would be if you were to describe a person in your culture with them",
your definitions for 1 to 5 ratings do not relate to the question.

[Edited at 2010-07-20 15:10 GMT]

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 14:26
German to English
+ ...
Please check Jul 20, 2010

the penlutlimate question has the wrong headings (I think) and I'm afraid I did not understand the last one at all.

Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Research projects - own forum? Jul 20, 2010

Requests such as this turn up on a regular basis, often dropping rapidly down the table. If research help requests were allocated their own forum, then anyone wishing to help, although frankly the sloppy nature of some questionnaires make them fairly unappetising, could browse the section at will. There could even be an increase in the number of responses.

KHalonen
TOPIC STARTER
Problems fixed now! Jul 23, 2010

Russell & David,

thank you very much for your feedback - amazing what you can miss however many times you look at something and try to check it's right!

Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Some tweaking still needed Jul 23, 2010

Your question:

"Please look at the list of words below and think about how easy or difficult you would find them to translate."

The words are all English. A translator with target language English cannot answer, though the Q "requires an answer".

Cilian

Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Questionnaire design: English as source language, not target Jul 23, 2010

KHalonen wrote:

Hello,

I would very much like to hear from translators "who either translate to or from English".
Katja Halonen-Knight

Judging by later questions too, you might want to change that to "who translate from English".

C

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dead link Jul 24, 2010

Katya, that link is dead. It takes me to a page that says "Thank you for taking the survey".

!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Take part in research on translating English adjectives!

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search