translation of references from footnotes
Thread poster: Petru Ioan

Petru Ioan
Local time: 00:49
English to Romanian
+ ...
Jul 29, 2010

Hello!

I have a few question regarding the translation of footnote references.

If the source text have a reference book at a footnote, is it necessary to translate the title of the book? Or can I preserve it in the source language, but translate it in brackets? Whic is the usual custom?

How about the translation regarding the university publishing house? Is it necessary to be translated?
Example: eng.: University of Ottawa Press / fr.: Les Presses de l'Université d'Ottawa
or
eng.: Cambridge University Press / fr.: Les Presses de l'Université Cambridge

In the case of academic titles, should I translate them?
Example: eng.: Associate Prof. Dr / fr.: Maître de Conf.

Thank you in advance
Peter

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:49
Italian to English

Hi Petru

I think you'll find these issues have been extensively discussed in the forums (and in KudoZ) in the past.
Just do a search on "Footnotes" for example.

imatahan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Depends on the client Jul 29, 2010

I've done a translation some months ago, and didn't translate the original titles, and the client sent it to another translator to make it and discounted it from my payment!

For Brazilian rules, we don't translate the original titles. But they wanted it in Mexico!

So, I'd tell you to ask your client how he/she wants it done.

Bilbo Baggins
Catalan to English
+ ...
consult author or style guide or both Jul 29, 2010

Petru Ioan wrote:

Hello!

I have a few question regarding the translation of footnote references.

If the source text have a reference book at a footnote, is it necessary to translate the title of the book? Or can I preserve it in the source language, but translate it in brackets? Whic is the usual custom?

How about the translation regarding the university publishing house? Is it necessary to be translated?
Example: eng.: University of Ottawa Press / fr.: Les Presses de l'Université d'Ottawa
or
eng.: Cambridge University Press / fr.: Les Presses de l'Université Cambridge

In the case of academic titles, should I translate them?
Example: eng.: Associate Prof. Dr / fr.: Maître de Conf.

Thank you in advance
Peter

References aren't translated usually, except little details like Vol, No, months etc. if your footnote is a proper reference and not some commentary, I'd say don't translate the title.

University and all publishing houses should be in the original langauge. Thus CUP shoudl always be CUP. In Canada, it might depend on whether the university was a mainly Fr or EN speaking one.

Academic titles, if in running text, probably some effort should be made to translate them (or gloss them), elsewhere - depending on the context - perhaps not.

So, as suggested, you should check with author/client, but also consult a style guide: some are very complete, but translation of items is often not covered. I'd say the Oxford Style Guide might deal with this issue.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Consult the author/client II Jul 29, 2010

... but do it with an authoritative style guide in the target language in your hand (NOT an English style guide if you're not translating into English).

That way you can clarify options and criteria with the client.

In publication, it is not usual to translate titles of works consulted by the author: if the work does not exist in a translated version, you would be misleading readers, and if it did, it is still possible that a translated version may not accord with the actual work consulted.

HOWEVER, there are cases in which such a translation is necessary - the client ought to know.

Publication data as regards proper names (ex. "Springer Verlag") are given the way they are written in the book. The place names are translated. But these data are given according to the conventions of the target language (especially regarding commas, periods, colons, order of data, etc.). Terms like "Eds." (Editors) usually have translations in the target language.

Once more, the client may claim exceptions.

If a direct quotation is given in the text and cited in a footnote, best practice requires that that quotation be taken from an existing translation where available (a bit of library work). If not, discuss whether the quotation is to be translated directly or between parenthesis.

Hope it helps. It's also possible the client may not be halfway as demanding as a printing press.

Petru Ioan
Local time: 00:49
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translate quotations Jul 30, 2010

Thank you all for your replies. The information was of much use for me.

Parrot, if I translate a quotation, what should I write after: personal translation, or my translation ?

And I have another question: In a source text which has its own footnotes, can I add the translator footnotes? If yes, should I write something after them? If not, is it possible to insert them only in the main text?

[Edited at 2010-07-30 13:55 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation of references from footnotes

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search