Accents on Indian place names in Fr:En translation
Thread poster: n15hma

n15hma
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:01
French to English
+ ...
Jul 31, 2010

I am currently translating a French text on a subject regarding India. When referring to regions of India, the French has added in accents (i.e. Gujarât, Punjâb, Râjasthân). However, in English, I have never seen accents used on Indian place names. Any idea why this is done (besides the obvious i.e. pronunciation), and am I wrong to not maintain them in my English translation? Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

InfoMarex
Ireland
Local time: 16:01
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No accents Jul 31, 2010

I would suggest no accents. They would look odd in both English and French to my mind, as the French accent would normally be on the last syllable anyway.

I suppose they were originally inserted in your text to ensure tonic pronunciation on the last syllable, as opposed to the voice accent on Delhi - i.e. the penultimate.
Kind regards,

Michael J McCann

wsetters
Local time: 17:01
French to English
They're just other words to translate Aug 13, 2010

n15hma wrote:

I am currently translating a French text on a subject regarding India. When referring to regions of India, the French has added in accents (i.e. Gujarât, Punjâb, Râjasthân). However, in English, I have never seen accents used on Indian place names. Any idea why this is done (besides the obvious i.e. pronunciation), and am I wrong to not maintain them in my English translation? Thank you.

When you translate "Moscou" from French to the English "Moscow", you change the spelling. This is no different - you need to use the English name for the place, even if the only difference is the accents. I recently translated a text with about a hundred Arabian place-names translitterated into French, and in the English text many of them were very different. So beware - in some cases, it may not only be the accent which changes.

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
. Aug 13, 2010

It sounds like the text might have been written for reading aloud. Is that possible?

Werner Maurer  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
accent Aug 23, 2010

Accent marks are pretty much nonexistent in standard written English. A few diacriticals other than accent marks turn up on very rare occasions. Sometimes an acute or grave accent mark is used instead of the internationally-more-standard dierisis (aka trema aka umlaut), to mark a normally silent letter, usually a vowel, as "to be pronounced". Also sometimes the diacritical is preserved in loanwords, e.g. the trema in übermensch, or the cedilla in French and Portuguese words.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accents on Indian place names in Fr:En translation

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search