Thread poster: Susan Welsh

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:04
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 4, 2010

The Summer issue of SlavFile, the quarterly newsletter of the Slavic Languages Division of the American Translators Association, is out and available to all. (Mostly in English or bilingual.)

Among the lively and informative articles is a contribution from Jennifer Guernsey, quoted in editor Lydia Razran Stone's column, "SlavFile Lite: Not by Word Count Alone." A couple of excerpts:

"You know you're a freelance translator when...

"...you finish chatting with the barista at Starbucks and know that that's going to be the extent of your conversation for the day.

"...you have four projects due at 6 PM ... fortunately, one is 6 PM Eastern Standard Time, one is 6 PM Berlin time, one is 6 PM Moscow time, and one is 6 PM Tokyo time.

"...a little break from work usually involves dishes or laundry or cat litter.

"...a T-shirt and sweatpants constitute formal business attire; for casual Fridays, you just stay in your pajamas."

http://www.ata-divisions.org/SLD/

[Edited at 2010-08-04 23:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-05 01:56 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:04
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My car engine could not startup Aug 5, 2010

Susan Welsh wrote:
Among the lively and informative articles is a contribution from Jennifer Guernsey, quoted in editor Lydia Razran Stone's column, "SlavFile Lite: Not by Word Count Alone." A couple of excerpts:
"...you finish chatting with the barista at Starbucks and know that that's going to be the extent of your conversation for the day.
"...you have four projects due at 6 PM ... fortunately, one is 6 PM Eastern Standard Time, one is 6 PM Berlin time, one is 6 PM Moscow time, and one is 6 PM Tokyo time.
"...a T-shirt and sweatpants constitute formal business attire; for casual Fridays, you just stay in your pajamas."

Quite interesting. I have a number of instances when I found I became a freelancer:

"May car engine failed to startup due to exhaustive battery after I did not drove outside for many days"

"I found I never greet my neighbors for over a week."

"I did not expose myself to sunshine daily."

"My son said my smiling was rare when I seriously concentrated on long and hardly comprehensible documents."

My earning was mainly in checks with larger amount, not monthly and regular bank income.

"I received phone frequently regarding now translation jobs."

Best regards,

Soonthon L.

Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Local time: 20:04
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Aww, I recognize myself... Aug 5, 2010

These two particularly touched me:

"...one word can require hours of research, but despite getting paid just a few cents for that one word, you do the research anyway.

...not only do you know the difference between a participle and a gerund, you actually care."

That's why I look at translating as a mission instead of just work

The newsletter looks interesting, I'll have to read all of it.

Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:04
English to German
Yep, that's me! Aug 5, 2010

Susan Welsh wrote:

Apart from the cat litter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SlavFile newsletter: "You know you're a freelance translator when..."

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search