Can you say "hot item"?
Thread poster: Rifraf

Rifraf
Local time: 20:44
Aug 24, 2010

Dear fellow translators,

At our office we are having a discussion about the term "hot item".

If you look in the Collins, something can be either a "hot issue" or "hot topic", but I cannot find evidence that you can also refer to it as a "hot item" (which is mainly used on Dutch sites).

Does anyone have a clue? Thanks for your help in advance!

xxxDesdemone
Local time: 15:44
French to English
I wouldn't Aug 24, 2010

From a North American perspective, "hot item" would denote something that is selling quickly (flying off the shelves), but not a timely topic or issue. I'd stick with hot topic.

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:44
English to Russian
+ ...
I am with Paula, well, in a way Aug 24, 2010

In North America hot item can also be an extremely popular topic for discussion/media coverage. About a celebrity couple which recently starting dating: They are an item.

[Edited at 2010-08-24 14:37 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 01:44
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Also in local English newspapers of my area Aug 24, 2010

sokolniki wrote:
In North America hot item can also be an extremely popular topic for discussion/media coverage. About a celebrity couple which recently starting dating: They are an item.

Local English newspapers and TV or other media in Bangkok can be influenced by North American idiom. Hot items are sensational issues: they may be nonsense among majority of audience.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
"Hot" in American slang = stolen Aug 24, 2010

In American slang, the term "hot item" frequently connotes an item that has been stolen.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hot&defid=234982

Drew

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:44
English to German
+ ...
Exactly. Aug 24, 2010

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

In American slang, the term "hot item" frequently connotes an item that has been stolen.

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:44
With Drew and Nicole Aug 25, 2010

When I first saw the title 'Can you say "hot item"?', the first definition which popped up in my mind was stolen item. 2 cents from a movie buff.icon_smile.gif

Rifraf
Local time: 20:44
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 25, 2010

Thanks very much for your answers! I will definately not use "hot item" now:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you say "hot item"?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search