Can you say "hot item"?
Thread poster: Rifraf

Rifraf
Local time: 03:21
Aug 24, 2010

Dear fellow translators,

At our office we are having a discussion about the term "hot item".

If you look in the Collins, something can be either a "hot issue" or "hot topic", but I cannot find evidence that you can also refer to it as a "hot item" (which is mainly used on Dutch sites).

Does anyone have a clue? Thanks for your help in advance!

Desdemone (X)
Local time: 22:21
French to English
I wouldn't Aug 24, 2010

From a North American perspective, "hot item" would denote something that is selling quickly (flying off the shelves), but not a timely topic or issue. I'd stick with hot topic.

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:21
English to Russian
+ ...
I am with Paula, well, in a way Aug 24, 2010

In North America hot item can also be an extremely popular topic for discussion/media coverage. About a celebrity couple which recently starting dating: They are an item.

[Edited at 2010-08-24 14:37 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 08:21
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Also in local English newspapers of my area Aug 24, 2010

sokolniki wrote:
In North America hot item can also be an extremely popular topic for discussion/media coverage. About a celebrity couple which recently starting dating: They are an item.

Local English newspapers and TV or other media in Bangkok can be influenced by North American idiom. Hot items are sensational issues: they may be nonsense among majority of audience.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
"Hot" in American slang = stolen Aug 24, 2010

In American slang, the term "hot item" frequently connotes an item that has been stolen.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hot&defid=234982

Drew

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:21
English to German
+ ...
Exactly. Aug 24, 2010

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

In American slang, the term "hot item" frequently connotes an item that has been stolen.

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:21
English to Japanese
+ ...
With Drew and Nicole Aug 25, 2010

When I first saw the title 'Can you say "hot item"?', the first definition which popped up in my mind was stolen item. 2 cents from a movie buff.icon_smile.gif

Rifraf
Local time: 03:21
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 25, 2010

Thanks very much for your answers! I will definately not use "hot item" now:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you say "hot item"?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search