Only master's degrees are good enough for the European Commission
Thread poster: philgoddard
Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:57
English to Latvian
+ ...
Tatty Sep 9, 2010

I think you are confusing two things here: working as a contractor for an EU institution (and for this one particular tender they require a MA degree, but it is not common) and working in-house for an EU institution, in which case you must have a university level degree, but not necessarily MA.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
Local time: 05:57
French to Dutch
+ ...
You are free to submit an application Sep 9, 2010

philgoddard wrote:
I don't understand why the EU uses translation companies anyway. I'm sure they have their uses in managing large projects, but why not cut out the middleman and save the taxpayer money?

Even as a freelancer. Expect dozens of pages of paperwork.

Is anyone at the Commission reading this? What is the rationale behind the master's requirement?

One of the reasons could be that they have the right education for doing this work. The filter could be another reason. But what would be the rationale for a person owning a masters for applying for the EU through an agency, at half or one-third of the tender's prices, eight months later? (these procedures take time)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Only master's degrees are good enough for the European Commission

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »