What file formats corresponds to what translation domains and types of documents?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:48
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 13, 2010

What file formats correspond to what translation domains and types of documents?

So far, I've mostly translated IT and technical material, such as user guides and manuals, and also documents related to commerce and finance, marketing and advertising. For most of the time, the source documents are in MS Word format, sometimes in PDF or Excel.

There are several hundreds of different file formats. Is it possible to say which file formats are used for specific translation d
... See more
What file formats correspond to what translation domains and types of documents?

So far, I've mostly translated IT and technical material, such as user guides and manuals, and also documents related to commerce and finance, marketing and advertising. For most of the time, the source documents are in MS Word format, sometimes in PDF or Excel.

There are several hundreds of different file formats. Is it possible to say which file formats are used for specific translation domains (such as IT and technology, commerce and finance, marketing and advertising) and for specific types of documents (such as patents, etc.)?

Is there any reference online where I can get a comprehensive overview of the relations between file format versus subject area/industry?

As for localization of software and web sites for instance, I presume the file formats would be quite different from ordinary document translation. But within the ordinary document translation area, what other file formats are used than the most common ones: Word, PDF, Excel, PowerPoint? And what is the relation between each file format and the customer/source document/translation domain/industry?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What file formats corresponds to what translation domains and types of documents?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »