Is it possible to merge files for counting words in Word 2007?
Thread poster: Paul Dixon

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:16
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sep 13, 2010

I have just finished a translation project consisting of some 400 or so newspaper cuttings. The amount to be translated varied tremendously, with only a couple of words on some pages and whole pages on other occasions. As this was an ongoing project, the agency asked for partial deliveries, so I did each file separately and sent them in blocks of 10 or 20 files, in chronological order (based on the date of the article concerned).

The problem is that I must now give the number of words and characters to the agency so that they can a) pay me and b) invoice the client. Obviously opening 400 or so files individually, some containing only a few words, is very time-consuming (as I found the hard way), so I wondered if there is some way to count the words/characters in the block of files as one unit. I could of course transfer the files one by one to a new file, but this would also be equally time-consuming.

The agency has told me that in Word 2003 there is a resource called "Insert File" which does this. I wonder if there is anything similar in Word 2007 that I could use? If so, how does it work?

Direct link Reply with quote

David Turnbull
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:16
Italian to English
Yes, possible in 2007 as well Sep 13, 2010

Hi Paul,

Word 2007 has exactly the same function to merge files together, which I often use for word counts.

Open a blank Word 2007 document.

On the ribbon, go to 'Insert'

Over on the RHS you should see a drop down called 'Object', click on the arrow and then 'Text from file'.

Find the folder with all your documents, select them all and press 'Insert'.

Then do the word count in the normal way.

HTH.

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 13, 2010

Dear David,

Thanks for your reply.

One problem is that the documents to be selected are in the My Documents file together with other files. However, the files have been grouped together by using an appropriate file naming system. Does this make any difference?

David Turnbull
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:16
Italian to English
Use CTRL and select all the relevant files Sep 13, 2010

Hi Paul,

Two solutions:

1) Move all the project files to a new, dedicated folder for this project and follow the steps above. (This is the easiest way, and also keeps all the files nice and tidy for future reference.)

2) Hold down the CTRL button on your keyboard and then click individually on each file to be inserted to the consolidated document. (This is prone to error and takes longer.)

Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
Count Anything Sep 13, 2010

Hello, Paul.

Use the application "Count Anything", which you can download at

http://ginstrom.com/CountAnything/

It was developed by a translator and you can download it free.

Or you could download also Total Assistant, at

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/180190-is_it_possible_to_merge_files_for_counting_words_in_word_2007.html

You can then bring at the whole folder where your files are into it, and it would do the rest. It can even calculate how much you have to receive.

Hope to have helped.

Have you ever heard of... Sep 13, 2010

...PractiCount and Invoice?

This is the programe I would strongly recommend.

With it you do not have to creat any new fold. You just have to open it, select the folders where you have the docs and them add the files. You can search thru your directory and keep adding files from other folds.

Then all you have to do is click "Count Statistics". What's more, you can enter your rate in any currency and "bingo", you have all your files counted plus the total amount based on the rate you entered.

You will have the amount per word, character with and without spaces, lines and pages. I takes only seconds until the job is done.

Check out the shotscreens here: http://www.practiline.com/

Give it a try!

Abraço,

Raphael G Correia

[Editada em 2010-09-13 17:41 GMT]

[Editada em 2010-09-13 18:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to merge files for counting words in Word 2007?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search