Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Sep 15, 2010

I had this in mind for a long time.
When translating technical documents it happens quite often that there are sentences that have exactly the same meaning but, because humans are creative animals, the wording is quite different.
As a translator, do you generally try to write down the version that seems to express the meaning or do you try to follow the style and humour of the author?

I made a small experiment with Babelfisch (Google translate doesn't seem to work these days?).

Here are the German sentences:

Rauchen verboten!
Nicht rauchen!
Rauchen bitte unterlassen!
Bitte nicht rauchen!
Rauchen nicht gestattet!
Rauchen untersagt!
Niemals rauchen!
Kein Rauchen!

And here the machine translation into English:

Smoke forbidden!
Do not smoke!
Smoke please omitted!
Please do not smoke!
Do not smoke permitted!
Smoke forbidden!
Never smoke!
No smoking!

So do you think when translating or works your mind more like a machine?

Please mind we are talking about technical documents, not conversations or fiction.

Regards
Heinrich

Noni Gilbert  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
3 out of 8 Sep 15, 2010

Not a very good score for Babelfis(c)h... and I am being generous!

But, back to your point Heinrich. There are indeed technical documents which reflect at least a style (more formal, less formal) although I wouldn't go so far as to talk about the mood of the author perhaps. But I would never sacrifice meaning in favour of style: I am obliged to find something which expresses the meaning accurately, and if I have alternatives, then I will be able to reflect the style.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Same meaning, different text

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search