How can I enable the Edit Image or Text Box functions in Word?
Thread poster: Lorena Riquelme

Lorena Riquelme  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:08
English to Spanish
Sep 28, 2010

Hello everyone,

This may be a silly call for help but I don't know how to figure this out.

I need to translate a Word text image but the edit image and text box functions are grayed out. How can I enable these functions to do my translation? The translation agency says I can insert my own text boxes over the top of the picture text with the translated text, but this doesn't seem to be a decent fix or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Lorena

Direct link Reply with quote

Jande  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 12:08
Danish to English
+ ...
Editing text boxes and pictures Sep 28, 2010

Hi Lorena,

If I can't edit the text boxes and pictures in the normal fashion, I generally do one of the following depending on the situation and the files:

1. I use visio if the files are visio files or I can tell that the items were made in visio. Sometimes I have to create the diagram again from scratch.

2. I press 'print screen' open up 'paint' in 'accessories' which is a default program that everyone gets with their computer and then select 'paste'. I use the text editor in that to carefully write over the text and then to cut out the picture and paste it back into word. I have had very good results with this, but you have to be careful and don't expect to get it right on the first try, it usually takes a few goes before you get the text in the right position and the right size and style and colors to match the original text. Sometimes you have to view large to correct a few errors. You can select the background and foreground color to exactly match your image.

3. I delete the image (I always keep a back-up) and then recreate the image with text box and drawing functions in word

4. As a last resort, I put the translated text under the image. I've actually only ever done this once.

5. Not recommended: I've used a free online version of a program similar to paint shop once where faces had to be blurred (not for translation). I'd rather use 'paint' for text editing because 'paint' is simple and can be used for any picture. You need some time to learn how to use paint shop and all its commands.

Even with photographs, CAD drawings and screen shots, I usually edit any text over the top using method 2 above.

Good Luck Jande

Roberto Lipani  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:08
Italian to English
+ ...
Editing images in msword Sep 29, 2010

Hi,
normally in word you should be able to edit an image, but sometimes it is not possible to to image settings into the word document. As you know, often, we're dealing with images which may be actually a group of items (image, arrows, textbox and so on).
Depending on how the image was created in the source document you can

1.Enable the toolbar "Drawing" in ms word (also, you may right click on the image and select the item "Group" in the context menu.
2. See whether the image you're handling is made up by a group of items and try to separate each item from the others to modify it (you can work both on the image and on the textboxes to modify them
3. Another solution is to: convert the single page (where you have the image in pdf and then, open the pdf using photoshop or similar (so you should be able to edit the same image in photoshop (you have a set of tools in PS to do it

Hope this will help you
If you want, you can send me the image by email and I will try to help

Good luck

regards

Roberto

Lorena Riquelme  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:08
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 29, 2010

Hello Jande and Roberto,

Thank you so much for your time and the methods/actions suggested.

Thank you Roberto for offering to help with the file.

Finally, I had to turn to a graphic designer friend as I couldn't work it out on my own. I usually have a hard time dealing with design elements and this time, time was of the essence.

I hope I can help you both in the future as you did.

Regards,

Lorena

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I enable the Edit Image or Text Box functions in Word?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search