Thread poster: Oliver Walter

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:17
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 1, 2010

I can't find a forum that's clearly suitable for this, but this one may be appropriate and I think it's a question of some interest. (It occurred to me when I saw the recent posts about pronunciation of * and @).
This is both a question and a warning:
What do speakers of your language in your country call a "web site" and a "home page"??
The question is of some significance because I have seen that in Germany and Switzerland, they often use the term "Homepage" as though it were the German word for the English term "web site". German does have the term Startseite which really is the home page, but they often use the wrong one. I've often seen statements like "Sie können XXX auf unserer Homepage finden". This literally means "You can find XXX on our home page" but they often really mean "You can find XXX on our web site" (and it's not on the home page). (That's why I recently translated "Homepage" as "web site" in a De>En translation that I did.)

Oliver

[Edited at 2010-10-02 20:30 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Joyce A  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:17
English to Japanese
+ ...
Hi Oliver. Oct 2, 2010

I just checked the WordWeb Dictionary and it defines "homepage" as the opening page of a "website."

Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Denglisch Oct 2, 2010

Hi Oliver,

The element descriptions of websites can vary (dangerously) in German. IT companies also have their preferred terminologies (as I am sure you know too well).

Apart from term lists, and other standard sources like dico, I personally really like Linguee with its context-relevant legacy stuff. Often great when the correct expression is at the back of your head, you cruise down the alternatives and suddenly - there the word is. http://www.linguee.com/english-german?sourceoverride=none&source=english&query=website%20home%20page

But definitely:

Startseite = Home page
Homepage - Website.

A bit like:

Great! At last I'm mobile!"
Klasse! Nun bin ich endlich Handy!

Cheers
Chris

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Often, not always Oct 2, 2010

Textklick wrote:
Startseite = Home page
Homepage - Website.

Well, as I wrote, this is often the meaning, but sometimes they'll use a less misleading word for web site, namely "Webseite", probably because it sounds similar.
If "Homepage" becomes the established German word for web site (I hope it won't, but you may think it already has), that will be analogous to what I suspect is the origin of the difference between English "actual" and "eventual" on the one hand, and German, French and Italian on the other (i.e. different meaning) hand: aktuell, eventuell, actuel, éventuel, attuale, eventuale.
Oliver

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Is usage that clear in English Oct 3, 2010

Oliver -- aside from the obvious issue that the meaning of loanwords are often distorted from their original meaning in the source language, I wonder to what extent you're comparing like with like. In other words, I wonder if it's actually true that in English, terms like "web page", "web site", "home page" are used that strictly by most people in any case. In other words, I wonder if there's actually much more confusion of the concepts of "Webseite", "Startseite" etc in German than there is between terms in English...

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:17
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Only 'web site' Oct 3, 2010

In Thai, I cannot search for 'home page' but only for 'web site.' The reason is that 'home' is used for a warm residence, not for a chilling or dreadful website! We still have negative sides of web sites in our country.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very little confusion Oct 3, 2010

Neil Coffey wrote:
I wonder if it's actually true that in English, terms like "web page", "web site", "home page" are used that strictly by most people in any case.

I have the impression that English speakers do not confuse the meanings of "web site" and "home page".
In other words, I wonder if there's actually much more confusion of the concepts of "Webseite", "Startseite" etc in German than there is between terms in English...

Yes, I think there is. I assume they know full well what a Startseite is, but they use Homepage without realising that in English it refers to the Startseite, not the whole set of pages in the web site.
Oliver

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:17
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
In Danish Oct 3, 2010

Officially hjemmeside = homepage (the front one)
Websted = Website (The whole series of pages)

A websted is described in the dictionary as a collection of ´websider´ introduced from a ´hjemmeside´.

A ´Webside´, literally a webpage, is a single document on the web or Net.

But in common parlance a ´hjemmeside´, literally the homepage, may be used to mean the entire site.

Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 12:17
English to German
+ ...
No problem Oct 3, 2010

I see no problem. Wenn you click onto the address, you arrive in any case at the Home Page of the Website, independent of what stands before the address.

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not necessarily Oct 3, 2010

Rolf Kern wrote:
I see no problem. Wenn you click onto the address, you arrive in any case at the Home Page of the Website, independent of what stands before the address.

The problem is that calling something a home page in English (as a literal translation of the German Homepage) may mislead or confuse the reader if it is not in fact the web site's home page.
Your specific point: clicking does not always arrive at the home page. Example: If you click on the following address (yes, it is an address)
http://www.proz.com/powwows/
you arrive at the Proz powwows page, not the Proz home page, which is
http://www.proz.com /
The translation that I mentioned was something like:
"Sie können das Dokument auf unserer Homepage
http://www.unsere-firma.de/downloads/dok.pdf
herunterladen." Clicking on that would certainly not arrive at the home page of the GmbH in question. Therefore I translated "Homepage" as "web site".

Oliver

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website or home page?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search