Birth Certificate Question: include Euskara or not?
Thread poster: Lauren DeAre

Lauren DeAre  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:23
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Oct 9, 2010

I'm translated a birth certificate from Basque Country that is written in Castellano. The top of the page includes a few words (volume/ page) in Euskara and then at the end there appears a certifying statement in both Spanish and Euskara, both, I assume and according to the client, stating the same thing.
How would you handle this?
I'm considering: 1) leaving it out 2) putting in a statement in brackets [repeat of statement in Euskara]

What do you think?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:23
Member (2009)
French to English
Don't leave it out Oct 9, 2010

I would leave it as is, but in italics with a translator's note.

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 05:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Play safe Oct 9, 2010

Always assuming that the Euskara and Spanish texts really do say exactly the same thing, I would repeat the English text, adding to one “[NdT: translated from Spanish]” and to the other “[NdT: translated from Euskara]”.

This would, I believe, be preferable to writing “[repeat of statement in Euskara]”, which has political connotations best left out of your translation.

Let the reader decide for himself which is the mere ‘repetition’ and which is the ‘dominant/primary’ language.

MediaMatrix

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't leave it out Oct 10, 2010

Just refer to it (see original) or put it in as is. I assume you do not know Euskara, so you cannot give any judgment of it at all.

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:23
German to Spanish
+ ...
Birth Certificate Question: include Euskara or not? Oct 10, 2010

Lauren DeAre wrote:

I'm translated a birth certificate from Basque Country that is written in Castellano. The top of the page includes a few words (volume/ page) in Euskara and then at the end there appears a certifying statement in both Spanish and Euskara, both, I assume and according to the client, stating the same thing.
How would you handle this?
I'm considering: 1) leaving it out 2) putting in a statement in brackets (repeat of statement in Euskara)

What do you think?

Since Spain belongs to the EC, birth certificates are multilingual if you come from a multilinigual spanish community (Catalonia, Basksland, etc.) or at least one of your parents are a foreigner belonging to an EC country (French, German, etc.) and the fields like the name, birthing date, etc. should be written in at least both languages.

And I would not leave anything out as it is an official document. Copy it just as it is in the original and add a translators note if you consider it necesssary.

[Edited at 2010-10-10 12:37 GMT]

Lauren DeAre  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your advice Oct 10, 2010

Thanks so much for your comments...
I ended up translating the single words using online references, just to verify that they were a repetition and then included the following statement for the paragraph of text:

[Translator's Note: Text repeats here in Euskara, please see original]

I mean no political statement with the word repeat, I just don't want my client to run into trouble in immigration offices if there is an "untranslated" section of her document. According to her, the text is an exact repetition.

[Edited at 2010-10-10 20:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Birth Certificate Question: include Euskara or not?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search