https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/182552-birth_certificate_question_include_euskara_or_not.html

Birth Certificate Question: include Euskara or not?
Thread poster: Lauren DeAre
Lauren DeAre
Lauren DeAre  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:41
Spanish to English
Oct 9, 2010

I'm translated a birth certificate from Basque Country that is written in Castellano. The top of the page includes a few words (volume/ page) in Euskara and then at the end there appears a certifying statement in both Spanish and Euskara, both, I assume and according to the client, stating the same thing.
How would you handle this?
I'm considering: 1) leaving it out 2) putting in a statement in brackets [repeat of statement in Euskara]

What do you think?

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:41
Member (2009)
French to English
Don't leave it out Oct 9, 2010

I would leave it as is, but in italics with a translator's note.

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 19:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Play safe Oct 9, 2010

Always assuming that the Euskara and Spanish texts really do say exactly the same thing, I would repeat the English text, adding to one “[NdT: translated from Spanish]” and to the other “[NdT: translated from Euskara]”.

This would, I believe, be preferable to writing “[repeat of statement in Euskara]”, which has political connotations best left out of your translation.

Let the reader decide for himself which is the mere ‘repetition’ and which is t
... See more
Always assuming that the Euskara and Spanish texts really do say exactly the same thing, I would repeat the English text, adding to one “[NdT: translated from Spanish]” and to the other “[NdT: translated from Euskara]”.

This would, I believe, be preferable to writing “[repeat of statement in Euskara]”, which has political connotations best left out of your translation.

Let the reader decide for himself which is the mere ‘repetition’ and which is the ‘dominant/primary’ language.

MediaMatrix
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Don't leave it out Oct 10, 2010

Just refer to it (see original) or put it in as is. I assume you do not know Euskara, so you cannot give any judgment of it at all.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:41
German to Spanish
+ ...
Birth Certificate Question: include Euskara or not? Oct 10, 2010

Lauren DeAre wrote:

I'm translated a birth certificate from Basque Country that is written in Castellano. The top of the page includes a few words (volume/ page) in Euskara and then at the end there appears a certifying statement in both Spanish and Euskara, both, I assume and according to the client, stating the same thing.
How would you handle this?
I'm considering: 1) leaving it out 2) putting in a statement in brackets (repeat of statement in Euskara)

What do you think?

Since Spain belongs to the EC, birth certificates are multilingual if you come from a multilinigual spanish community (Catalonia, Basksland, etc.) or at least one of your parents are a foreigner belonging to an EC country (French, German, etc.) and the fields like the name, birthing date, etc. should be written in at least both languages.

And I would not leave anything out as it is an official document. Copy it just as it is in the original and add a translators note if you consider it necesssary.

[Edited at 2010-10-10 12:37 GMT]

Lauren DeAre
Lauren DeAre  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your advice Oct 10, 2010

Thanks so much for your comments...
I ended up translating the single words using online references, just to verify that they were a repetition and then included the following statement for the paragraph of text:

[Translator's Note: Text repeats here in Euskara, please see original]

I mean no political statement with the word repeat, I just don't want my client to run into trouble in immigration offices if there is an "untranslated" section of her document. Accord
... See more
Thanks so much for your comments...
I ended up translating the single words using online references, just to verify that they were a repetition and then included the following statement for the paragraph of text:

[Translator's Note: Text repeats here in Euskara, please see original]

I mean no political statement with the word repeat, I just don't want my client to run into trouble in immigration offices if there is an "untranslated" section of her document. According to her, the text is an exact repetition.

[Edited at 2010-10-10 20:33 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Birth Certificate Question: include Euskara or not?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »