Thread poster: Pilar Dueñas
Pilar Dueñas
Costa Rica
Local time: 23:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 7, 2010

Hi everyone,
I am trying to find information about translation teams. I have the opportunity to team up with a person who translates from Russian, and I wonder if any of you can tell me how to go about it and what to expect.
Best,
Pilar.

[Edited at 2010-12-07 01:18 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:46
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Proz FAQ Dec 7, 2010

Proz FAQ has details and descriptions about this matter.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Pilar Dueñas
Costa Rica
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 7, 2010

Thank you Soonthon.

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:46
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
depends on the language combinations Dec 7, 2010

Hi Pilar,
It would only work if the language combinations overlapped. I translate from Russian and German to English, and you from English to Spanish. so it's hard to see what help we could be to one another. Some of the best teams I know of involve a language pair where one person is a native speaker of each language.

Good luck,
Susan

Pilar Dueñas
Costa Rica
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 7, 2010

Thank you Susan.
The person I was referring to is Russian and translates from English, German and Spanish, so as I explained to you I have to decide whether this is a wise step, or there are too many pitfalls, and in the end it never works.
Also, thanks to Soonthon I have found out that it is possible to create translation teams on ProZ, which I will look into also.
Thank you again!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:46
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It all depends Dec 7, 2010

I have had that experience in the past before my current company and the experience was not that smooth in the end. There were very many differences in productivity, contacts, and expectations between the two partners.

I'd say that the success of such a partnership depends on very many factors. Can you tell us more about how you have imagined this partnership?

Pilar Dueñas
Costa Rica
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Two people partnership Dec 7, 2010

Hi Tomás,
I had thought that because the demand for English-Spanish is not that high compared to other, rarer language combinations, I would be able to earn more by working jointly with a Russian translator. I have a diploma and some experience as a part time translator, whereas he is not qualified, but writes beautifully and seems to be a perfectionist, like me. I could correct and supervise the translations into Spanish and maybe English, and he could take on the German-Russian, Spanish-Russian and English-Russian translations. We would negotiate how to split the payments according to the number of hours I put in. I am more interested in attracting customers and getting people to know me and trust me, so that I am able to work full time.
Anyway, I think I will talk things over with him and see how it goes.
Thanks guys:D

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:46
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hours worked is not a good parameter Dec 7, 2010

Pilar Dueñas wrote:
We would negotiate how to split the payments according to the number of hours I put in.

May I recommend to use some other parameter here? If you or the other person work faster, work will be done in less time, and income would be lower. I think the only sensible parameter as to sharing the income is the number of words produced. Ideally you must calculate how much each of you has produced, both in terms of words and money (you might have a range of customers who pay different rates).

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation teams/partnerships

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search