MNtranslates
MNtranslates  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:58
English to German
+ ...
Dec 16, 2010

Hello all,

I was asked to translate a CV, US style, into German. I am now a little unsure. Shall I only translated the document into German and keep the format? Or should I apply the German format for a Lebenslauf and request further necessary information from my client?

Your help is very appreciated! Thank you!

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 19:58
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Don't ask us Dec 16, 2010

Don't ask us, ask the client. Explain that there are numerous differences in format and content and ask them what they want you to do.

Do you know for what purpose they want to use the translation? Maybe the client doesn't even want to use the CV for an actual job application but just wants to include bilingual information on their website. In that case, I'm sure they don't want all that private information in it. Or they intend to hand in their English CV with a German translation
... See more
Don't ask us, ask the client. Explain that there are numerous differences in format and content and ask them what they want you to do.

Do you know for what purpose they want to use the translation? Maybe the client doesn't even want to use the CV for an actual job application but just wants to include bilingual information on their website. In that case, I'm sure they don't want all that private information in it. Or they intend to hand in their English CV with a German translation provided for convenience, so both documents should correspond in format and content 1:1.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating/Converting US CV into German Lebenslauf

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »