Commercial Translation
Thread poster: aimanjohari

aimanjohari
Malaysia
Local time: 16:50
English to Malay
Jan 21, 2011

I have been asked to translate a tourism website. But something bother me is the job poster associated commercial translation with tourism. Is this correct? In my opinion, tourism is more to general/cultural translation.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:50
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Commercial contexts Jan 21, 2011

You can expect more commercial contexts in tourism, environment, literature. Here we do commercial based jobs.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

NMR (X)
France
Local time: 10:50
French to Dutch
+ ...
Not always Jan 21, 2011

In principle, tourism + website = commercial translation (marketing of a tourism related product). But if the subject is architecture, history, war techniques, geography, and so on, it becomes technical and can even be highly technical. If there are conditions of sale, it can even be legal translation. I apply two different price scales for commercial and for technical/legal translation.
In each case, I do not feel tourism as general, or literature.

[Edited at 2011-01-21 09:36 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Commercial Translation

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search