Translating Dissertations - Annexes and Appendices
Thread poster: MOConnor DIPSI
MOConnor DIPSI
Local time: 19:20
Portuguese to English
Jan 31, 2011

Hi,

I have just translated an undergraduate dissertation from Portuguese into English for entry into a post-graduate study programme in Berlin. I am wondering whether it is necessary to translate the appendices and annexes which mostly include interview transcripts and email correspondence.

The client seems to be keen on them being translated though I don't really see the point. She would save a significant amount were we to decide not to.

Are there any standard procedures and/or guidelines regarding the translation of annexes and appendices?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards

Matt

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
The Client Jan 31, 2011

If the client wants it translated, then simply do it and charge accordingly.

Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Translating Annexes and Appendices Jan 31, 2011

Hi,

The best solution here is to tell the client which appendices/annexes are relevant to her dissertation and translate some of the most important and relevant ones. For the rest, you can give her a summary - this would save money for her and time for you, as well as shows that you have integrity. The summary shouldn't take long as it would take you about 1-3 hours skimming through.

Best regards,

Trinh.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:20
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My policy Feb 1, 2011

Trinh Do wrote:

The best solution here is to tell the client which appendices/annexes are relevant to her dissertation and translate some of the most important and relevant ones. For the rest, you can give her a summary - this would save money for her and time for you, as well as shows that you have integrity. The summary shouldn't take long as it would take you about 1-3 hours skimming through.

I always conduct this translation policy to make a concise version of dissertation: appendices are only extra contents and basically rarely assessed for academic fields.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:20
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
The client Feb 1, 2011

This is the client's decision, not yours. In this case, however, given that there is apparently some text outside the annexes and appendices, you might suggest that she contact the office that wants to read the English version of her dissertation and ask them whether they want them. You should also tell the client that if you don't hear otherwise by [a specific date], you will start translating them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Dissertations - Annexes and Appendices

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search