https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/191080-translator_decriptive_interjections.html

Translator decriptive interjections
Thread poster: spanruss
spanruss
spanruss
United States
Local time: 19:16
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 2, 2011

. . . for lack of a better thing to call them. What I mean are those brackets we translators insert for seals, stamps, escutcheons, etc. Specifically I want to discuss their proper use.

Although it seems to make sense to include information from seals within the brackets, like this:

[seal: United Mexican States
Civil Registrar
Mexico City, Federal District]

I have seen several translators use the following format:

[seal:] United Mex
... See more
. . . for lack of a better thing to call them. What I mean are those brackets we translators insert for seals, stamps, escutcheons, etc. Specifically I want to discuss their proper use.

Although it seems to make sense to include information from seals within the brackets, like this:

[seal: United Mexican States
Civil Registrar
Mexico City, Federal District]

I have seen several translators use the following format:

[seal:] United Mexican States
Civil Registrar
Mexico City, Federal District

To me, it makes no sense to place the information of the seal outside of the brackets. Moreover, and particularly if there are numerous lines of information, how would the reader discern where the seal information ends and subsequent document text begins?

Is there a standard? If not, what do you use in practice?
Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 20:16
Russian to English
+ ...
As with anything in the US, there is no standard - thank God! Feb 2, 2011

Placing your whatever you want to call them in square brackets makes perfect sense to me since they are not a part of the text you are translating. The text on the seals, stamps, etc. is, so it belongs outside the brackets, just like everything else. That's what I do, an it has never ever been an issue.

spanruss
spanruss
United States
Local time: 19:16
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
True . . . but Feb 2, 2011

Thanks for the opinion, Misha. For the most part, that makes sense. However, although that method clearly indicates when text within a seal, stamp, etc., begins, it has no counterpart to indicate when the "embedded" text ends.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
How I do it... Feb 3, 2011

(seal)
United Mexican States
Federal Judicial Branch
Third District Court
Cd. Juárez, Chih.

Such is the format I use. When translating documents with various seals and other items throughout, I use a title page on which I include all those items once, because doing so on each page would be insanity.

Because I having been doing this for close to forty years with nary a complaint, I can only conclude that my own standard is perfectl
... See more
(seal)
United Mexican States
Federal Judicial Branch
Third District Court
Cd. Juárez, Chih.

Such is the format I use. When translating documents with various seals and other items throughout, I use a title page on which I include all those items once, because doing so on each page would be insanity.

Because I having been doing this for close to forty years with nary a complaint, I can only conclude that my own standard is perfectly good. Probably others are too.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator decriptive interjections

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »