John Moran  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 13:34
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2011

Hi all,

I am presenting a paper (the abstract has already been accepted and I am on the speaker list) for a conference in Paris on the 4th of Match (www.tralogy.eu). So far so good.

The problem is that a good deal of the paper includes concepts which I know about because I run a translation agency (Transpiral Translation Services - see the Blue Board) which I have kept dormant for the past while, except for one or two projects from good clients per year.

Anyhoo, I have a problem. It is due in three days and I still have to do some work on it so apologies if this seems like outsourcing of effort. I am just trying to box clever.

My problem is I would like to describe to machine translation experts what a compressed word count is. It has been in my vocabulary for the past ten years but when I google the phrase with other collocations (e.g. Trados) I get nothing. Ok, so I don't mind what I call the concept in the paper. It can be the Donald Duck Discount Grid for all I care so long as I can point to some published article that confirm the concept exists.

Here is an example so that there is no confusion:

Match type Words * =
Repetitions 10 0.25 2
100.00% 80 0.25 20
95-99% 100 0.3 30
85-94% 50 0.5 25
75%-84% 31 1 31
50%-74% 100 1 100
No match 700 1 700
Compressed 908

I have heard it called the "Trados discount grid" also. As I said I don't care what the concept is called I just don't want to be accused of inventing a term. Does anyone know of a published (ideally but not necessarily - peer reviewed) article (not a blog or webpage) where it is mentioned or discussed. I search "multilingual" to no avail but I don't read as much "industry" intelligence as I should.

Actually, a half decent webpage would do at this stage.

Cheers,

John

Terry Richards
France
Local time: 14:34
French to English
+ ...
Weighted Word Count (WWC) Feb 11, 2011

That's what it is called by one agency that I work with. It gets 10,000 Google hits.

T.

Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
WWC is known term Feb 11, 2011

I agree, WWC is used by many of my clients and some of them even localize the term into their language.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Citation needed for compressed word count

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search