John Moran  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 07:38
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2011

Hi all,

I am presenting a paper (the abstract has already been accepted and I am on the speaker list) for a conference in Paris on the 4th of Match (www.tralogy.eu). So far so good.

The problem is that a good deal of the paper includes concepts which I know about because I run a translation agency (Transpiral Translation Services - see the Blue Board) which I have kept dormant for the past while, except for one or two projects from good clients per year.

Anyhoo, I have a problem. It is due in three days and I still have to do some work on it so apologies if this seems like outsourcing of effort. I am just trying to box clever.

My problem is I would like to describe to machine translation experts what a compressed word count is. It has been in my vocabulary for the past ten years but when I google the phrase with other collocations (e.g. Trados) I get nothing. Ok, so I don't mind what I call the concept in the paper. It can be the Donald Duck Discount Grid for all I care so long as I can point to some published article that confirm the concept exists.

Here is an example so that there is no confusion:

Match type Words * =
Repetitions 10 0.25 2
100.00% 80 0.25 20
95-99% 100 0.3 30
85-94% 50 0.5 25
75%-84% 31 1 31
50%-74% 100 1 100
No match 700 1 700
Compressed 908

I have heard it called the "Trados discount grid" also. As I said I don't care what the concept is called I just don't want to be accused of inventing a term. Does anyone know of a published (ideally but not necessarily - peer reviewed) article (not a blog or webpage) where it is mentioned or discussed. I search "multilingual" to no avail but I don't read as much "industry" intelligence as I should.

Actually, a half decent webpage would do at this stage.

Cheers,

John

Direct link Reply with quote

Terry Richards
France
Local time: 08:38
French to English
+ ...
Weighted Word Count (WWC) Feb 11, 2011

That's what it is called by one agency that I work with. It gets 10,000 Google hits.

T.

Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
WWC is known term Feb 11, 2011

I agree, WWC is used by many of my clients and some of them even localize the term into their language.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Citation needed for compressed word count

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search