Using the future tense for describing past events.
Thread poster: Anne McElroy-Arnaud

Anne McElroy-Arnaud
France
Local time: 08:36
French to English
Feb 21, 2011

I am translating from French into English. I have often had the problem of "Historical Present" and have dealt with it by just using the past tense, for example:
"Quand Thucydide écrit son histoire de la guerre du Péloponnèse en date du premier siècle de notre ère, il a recours à des témoins visuels."
Translated by
"When Thucydides wrote his history of the Peloponnesian war in the first century of our era, he used eye witnesses."

But what about "Historical Future"? If the rest of the text is translated to be written the past tense as above, should we translate this as follows:

"Avec l’apparition du christianisme, l’oralité va jouer un nouveau rôle."

translated by:

"With the appearance of Christianity, orality would play a new role."

I can't see the forest for the trees on this one.

Thanks!

Lauren Butler (X)
Local time: 07:36
Russian to English
+ ...
I'd translate it just as you did Mar 12, 2011

But what about "Historical Future"? If the rest of the text is translated to be written the past tense as above, should we translate this as follows:

"Avec l’apparition du christianisme, l’oralité va jouer un nouveau rôle."

translated by:

Thanks!

I would translate it just as you did.

The French version of that sentence uses the future, which looks odd to me. (Why didn't they use the conditional jouerait?) But my French is really rusty, so maybe I'm missing something.

You decided to translate it using the conditional, which sounds fine and is congruent with the rest of the text.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Trust your instincts Mar 12, 2011

Lauren Butler wrote:
I would translate it just as you did.

I agree with Lauren.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
The French is correct so far... Mar 13, 2011

and to the best of my knowledge, the sentence is not stricto sensu in the future tense.

Furthermore, the conditional would not make any sense in the source language (as orality indeed started to play a new role with the appearance of Christianity).

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Usual translations Mar 13, 2011

anniemacnaud wrote:

If you don't think that "would" fits the sentence in question, another possibilitity to consider is "was to". But either way, you're on the right lines-- it's just a case of finding the alternative that sounds most natural in English.

The main thing is to avoid "French museum translation syndrome" and end up with odd sentences like "the king will die in 1634".

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Museum translation syndrome Mar 13, 2011

Neil Coffey wrote:
(.../...)
The main thing is to avoid "French museum translation syndrome" and end up with odd sentences like "the king will die in 1634".

Indeed, I always found such sentences to be excessivement précieuses.

Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Orality? Mar 13, 2011

anniemacnaud wrote:

"W...ith the appearance of Christianity, orality would play a new role."

Thanks!

Not sure about orality - oral transmission of history, or the oral tradition perhaps; and it's usually "I can't see the wood for the trees" (in the UK at least). icon_smile.gif

Sarah Puchner  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:36
French to English
Rules for "moving back" one tense Mar 13, 2011

This might help:

http://www.athabascau.ca/courses/engl/155/support/direct_and_indirect_speech.htm

It gives a flow chart for moving back in time by one tense. Although it is meant to be for indirect speech, I think it applies equally to dealing with the present / future historic in French.

Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using the future tense for describing past events.

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search