Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:15
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 12, 2004

Fax is an important tool for us translators. But there is something better: efax.

It seems most of you still use own fax machines. So the client sends his hard-copy, often a xeroxed document of many pages, to an agency. Both fax machines do there best, but the quality of the fax is always poorer als the "original". Then the agency faxes the fax to one of us freelancers. The fax machine prints alls the pages on paper and the result is hardly legible. Our poor colleague takes the stac
... See more
Fax is an important tool for us translators. But there is something better: efax.

It seems most of you still use own fax machines. So the client sends his hard-copy, often a xeroxed document of many pages, to an agency. Both fax machines do there best, but the quality of the fax is always poorer als the "original". Then the agency faxes the fax to one of us freelancers. The fax machine prints alls the pages on paper and the result is hardly legible. Our poor colleague takes the stack of papers and translates the text into a Word-file, which is sent to the agency.
If the agency would use efax, the document would arrive as a small email-attachment, which could be sent to the translator free of charge. The translator would open the document, put it at the lower half of the screen and open an empty word file above it. No paper, no neck-strain. And the quality of the faxed document is as almost good as the "original", ORC will have a much easier job wiht it than with a fax*fax*fax-document.

So why does not everybody use efax? It saves time and money at every stage. A 100 page fax may well draw a 30+ Euro ink-cartridge.

At least everyone could start using virtual fax-mechines, which save the document in electronic form. Why do you still use paper-faxes?
Any opinions?
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 13:15
German to Romanian
+ ...
I'm not using any Mar 12, 2004

I receive and send a small amount of faxes (maybe one every 2-3 months) and it's not worth buying a fax machine (I usually do this using public fax services). I was considering using efax, but I was too busy to look around for a solution. Now you know why I don't use it.

Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni
Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni  Identity Verified
Albania
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Great tool Mar 12, 2004

I was sent one document through an efax and I was amazed. I tried to open an efax account (number) and, to be honest, I haven't been able yet to send any thing. I may be doing things wrong. I was told about it by the secretaries of the company where my husband works and they were telling me great things about it. Even if you have few faxes to send it still helps a lot, I am told. Quality, time, expenses (tel. line, cartridge, etc.).

Precious thing, Heinrich, to suggest to the agenc
... See more
I was sent one document through an efax and I was amazed. I tried to open an efax account (number) and, to be honest, I haven't been able yet to send any thing. I may be doing things wrong. I was told about it by the secretaries of the company where my husband works and they were telling me great things about it. Even if you have few faxes to send it still helps a lot, I am told. Quality, time, expenses (tel. line, cartridge, etc.).

Precious thing, Heinrich, to suggest to the agencies or freelancers.

[Edited at 2004-03-12 12:56]
Collapse

Aquila Aurata
Aquila Aurata
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Nice service but suitable only in certain countries Mar 12, 2004

Hello Heinrich,

That's a good suggestion. We used to take advantage of it while living in Canada. There are no local efax numbers for Hungary, though, so here we just stick to e-mail attachments in PDF.

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:15
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Efax is excellent Mar 12, 2004

Hello,

I have been using Efax for the last 3 years and it is 100% reliable. I receive all faxes through Efax and only have a fax machine because I still need to send paper material by fax (when real signatures are important).

I trust it a lot and people that use my Efax number are really pleased. It always goes through:-) and reads beautifully.

However, I think there is some misunderstanding on how this works. The free version can only be used to receive fa
... See more
Hello,

I have been using Efax for the last 3 years and it is 100% reliable. I receive all faxes through Efax and only have a fax machine because I still need to send paper material by fax (when real signatures are important).

I trust it a lot and people that use my Efax number are really pleased. It always goes through:-) and reads beautifully.

However, I think there is some misunderstanding on how this works. The free version can only be used to receive faxes. I can receive faxes through my Efax number but cannot use that Efax number to send my own faxes. Still... when I send any fax using my conventional fax machine the Efax number will be shown in the "From" field so that it makes clear that the Efax number is my only fax number.

By the way, I also send faxes electronically if needed - but then I use the BVRB Software. Word Processors usually also have these... I think...

Seems confusing but it isn't:-)

All the best
Mónica
Collapse

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
Free version is not for sending faxes! Mar 12, 2004

Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni wrote:
I haven't been able yet to send any thing. I may be doing things wrong.
[Edited at 2004-03-12 12:56]

Hi Fabiana,

eFax is only for receiving faxes if you don't have the paid version though sometimes there is some special offer (3 faxes sent for free or the like). So maybe you chose the free version when registering?
It's really a great tool and I like it very much but given the neglectable amount of faxes I have to send I'm only using the free version.

Charlotte

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
That's why... Mar 12, 2004

According to my knowledge and the information on the eFax website, Finland is the only Nordic country where you can setup a eFax account.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I would be more than happy to setup an account.
Actually I've been looking for an e-fax service, since I don't have an old-fashioned fax, either.
8) Jørgen

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Sweden's Faxbox recently closed Mar 12, 2004

Was a fantastic service but there were too few subscribers.

Mats

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
www.fax1.com Mar 12, 2004

Hi,

I have been using efax as a free acount for incoming faxes. However, I received an email from efax one day, telling me they would shut down my account as they were no longer able to offer this free service to me.

I don't own a fax machine, so I am using fax1.com to send faxes (which does not happen very often; it occures once or maybe twice a month, if at all). They are cheaper than efax (about 20 UScent per page, depending on the country), but you cannot receive a
... See more
Hi,

I have been using efax as a free acount for incoming faxes. However, I received an email from efax one day, telling me they would shut down my account as they were no longer able to offer this free service to me.

I don't own a fax machine, so I am using fax1.com to send faxes (which does not happen very often; it occures once or maybe twice a month, if at all). They are cheaper than efax (about 20 UScent per page, depending on the country), but you cannot receive any faxes through them.
Collapse

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:15
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Another advantage of efax Mar 12, 2004

The basic version of efax - to receive faxes only - is free of charge.
I like the advantage of saving paper, all faxes are in my computer, and I can enlarge text portions We all know how difficult it is sometimes to read the little prints in faxes.
It happened to me only once in more than 3 years that the efax service was down over the weekend for upgrade. I am a very happy and satisfied efax customer, I like the fact
... See more
The basic version of efax - to receive faxes only - is free of charge.
I like the advantage of saving paper, all faxes are in my computer, and I can enlarge text portions We all know how difficult it is sometimes to read the little prints in faxes.
It happened to me only once in more than 3 years that the efax service was down over the weekend for upgrade. I am a very happy and satisfied efax customer, I like the fact that there is a great tool free of charge for small businesses like us
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My fax resides in the US Mar 12, 2004

I started out with the free service, but later I paid my fee. The numer is a +1-8.., so my fax resides in the US somewhere. So far I haven't had to travel there and load any paper into it.
Some clients first wonder, how my fax can be in the US, when my office is in Finland, but they get used to it. I understand they offer numbers for some German cities too.
From Hungary or anywhere you sure can recieve efax, if you have a credit card.
For 100 dollars a year it's still cheaper
... See more
I started out with the free service, but later I paid my fee. The numer is a +1-8.., so my fax resides in the US somewhere. So far I haven't had to travel there and load any paper into it.
Some clients first wonder, how my fax can be in the US, when my office is in Finland, but they get used to it. I understand they offer numbers for some German cities too.
From Hungary or anywhere you sure can recieve efax, if you have a credit card.
For 100 dollars a year it's still cheaper than a phone line, at least in Finland.
Collapse

AmrDarwish
AmrDarwish
English to Arabic
+ ...
Tell me the basics please Mar 12, 2004

Hi all,
I am new to this utility and sometimes need to receive faxes. Can anybody advise how can I make use of it?
Thanks

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
efax.com is one source for setting up a service Mar 13, 2004

AmrDarwish wrote:

Hi all,
I am new to this utility and sometimes need to receive faxes. Can anybody advise how can I make use of it?
Thanks

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:15
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If your country isn't listed by Efax... Mar 13, 2004

Hello,

If your country isn't listed by Efax, you have to register as being in the US. The only thing you need is a postcode valid in the US. Then you will be given a US Efax number. I suppose that's what most people do:-)

I have a US fax number and have registered free.

As far as I know only a couple more countries are listed there so going for the US is the best here really.

All the best
Mónica

kbamert
kbamert  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
how to send a paper copy Mar 14, 2004

So far I haven't had to travel there and load any paper into it.

Hello

Did you ever send a paper copy from Finland? And how does it work having no fax machine in Finland?

Regards,

Kurt

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Praise to efax

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »