How should university names be translated?
Thread poster: Pilar Arias
Pilar Arias
Pilar Arias
Local time: 05:16
Spanish to English
Mar 5, 2011

Hi!

Im translating a document from English into Spanish that manes many universities.
Some universities do have a recognized translation for their name, such as "Universidad de Virginia", but for example, how do I translate "Eastern Shore community college"? Is "Eastern shore" its proper name (thus not to be translated) or it is just indicating location? Do I even translate it?

Thanks a lot!!

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:16
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Eastern Shore Community College Mar 6, 2011

Don't waste your time. They have a website where they call themselves Eastern Shore Community College. If they haven't translated their name into Spanish on their own website, you can use their own English brand name.

Cheers,
Gerard

Pilar Arias
Pilar Arias
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot! Mar 6, 2011

Then I won't even bother...
Thanks a lot Gerard!!
Cheers!

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
just for the record Mar 6, 2011

Useful and I believe fairly authoritative (German Research Foundation) source for English translations of German universities and other research institutions

http://research-explorer.dfg.de

Pilar Arias
Pilar Arias
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
tks Mar 6, 2011

Thanks a lot Lutz, but my Translation is English>Spanish.
It's good to know different sources for colleagues that work with the German language though.
Cheers!

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:16
Russian to English
+ ...
@Lutz Mar 6, 2011

Thanks for the tip on a great site.

sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Spanish to English
it's important Mar 7, 2011

Use the original name. I'm Irish and to give just one example from my country, we have Dublin City University, The University of Dublin (Trinity) and University College Dublin. 'La Universidad de Dubli'n' would make no sense at all in this context.

Mohd Tariq
Mohd Tariq
India
Local time: 13:46
English to Punjabi
+ ...
ok Mar 8, 2011

Well, I am from India. Here in India we have many languages in the same country, but universities have only one name(I mean not translated at all).

What I think is the name of the University shoul be one and it should not be changed. As its the identity and the certificates given by the university will be displaying only one name of the university.

Thanks for reading!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How should university names be translated?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »