How should university names be translated?
Thread poster: Pilar Arias

Pilar Arias
Local time: 14:46
Spanish to English
Mar 5, 2011


Im translating a document from English into Spanish that manes many universities.
Some universities do have a recognized translation for their name, such as "Universidad de Virginia", but for example, how do I translate "Eastern Shore community college"? Is "Eastern shore" its proper name (thus not to be translated) or it is just indicating location? Do I even translate it?

Thanks a lot!!


Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:46
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Eastern Shore Community College Mar 6, 2011

Don't waste your time. They have a website where they call themselves Eastern Shore Community College. If they haven't translated their name into Spanish on their own website, you can use their own English brand name.



Pilar Arias
Local time: 14:46
Spanish to English
thanks a lot! Mar 6, 2011

Then I won't even bother...
Thanks a lot Gerard!!


Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:46
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
just for the record Mar 6, 2011

Useful and I believe fairly authoritative (German Research Foundation) source for English translations of German universities and other research institutions


Pilar Arias
Local time: 14:46
Spanish to English
tks Mar 6, 2011

Thanks a lot Lutz, but my Translation is English>Spanish.
It's good to know different sources for colleagues that work with the German language though.


Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:46
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
@Lutz Mar 6, 2011

Thanks for the tip on a great site.


Local time: 19:46
Spanish to English
it's important Mar 7, 2011

Use the original name. I'm Irish and to give just one example from my country, we have Dublin City University, The University of Dublin (Trinity) and University College Dublin. 'La Universidad de Dubli'n' would make no sense at all in this context.


Local time: 23:16
English to Hindi
+ ...
ok Mar 8, 2011

Well, I am from India. Here in India we have many languages in the same country, but universities have only one name(I mean not translated at all).

What I think is the name of the University shoul be one and it should not be changed. As its the identity and the certificates given by the university will be displaying only one name of the university.

Thanks for reading!


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How should university names be translated?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search