Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Are we so crying for projects?
Thread poster: Adsion

Adsion  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:56
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 8, 2011

I understand that we have more and more translators in the world and the competition is hotter and hotter. However, should we touch those projects posted by outsourcers with bad credit standing?

Today, I witness a job post, many times repeated, posted by a bad outsourcer, but was with several candidates! This outsourcer has multiple non-payment issues recorded on Blueboard, but why we translators still offer candiates?

The concerned job: http://www.proz.com/job/507040

[Editado a las 2011-03-08 20:34 GMT]


 

Bilanda Ban  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 07:56
English to Croatian
+ ...
The same outsourcer posted a job in my language pair today... Mar 8, 2011

I really want to believe that the candidates who quoted on this job are non-paying members, and therefore have no access to BB. I wish I could warn them somehowicon_frown.gif

[Edited at 2011-03-08 16:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-08 16:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-08 16:10 GMT]


 

Adsion  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:56
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Visible to non-members Mar 8, 2011

BBan wrote:

I really want to believe that the candidates who quoted on this job are non-paying members, and therefore have no access to BB. I wish I could warn them somehowicon_frown.gif

[Edited at 2011-03-08 16:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-08 16:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-08 16:10 GMT]


Thank you for your reply and concern, BBan.

In fact, the BB is also Visible to non-members, except the details and comments. Non-members can still see what scores the outsourcer has out of 5.


 

Bilanda Ban  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 07:56
English to Croatian
+ ...
My mistake... Mar 8, 2011

You are right, I forgot about that. Now the whole situation seems even more puzzling!

 

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hunger Mar 8, 2011

One word.

Hunger.


 

Alexandra Pirotte (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:56
English to French
+ ...
Why people are still quoting Mar 8, 2011

Maybe this stems from a mixture of wishful thinking (as in "Other translators got scammed by this company, but it won't happen to me.") and desperation during hard financial times...

 

Miriam Neidhardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:56
English to German
+ ...
Keep in mind... Mar 8, 2011

... that it is absolutely possible that all quoters demand payment in advance and are not all desperate and have to take every job from every outsourcer.

Miriam


 

Adsion  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:56
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do hope so Mar 8, 2011

Miriam Neidhardt wrote:

... that it is absolutely possible that all quoters demand payment in advance and are not all desperate and have to take every job from every outsourcer.

Miriam


As titled. I do hope that all candidates require 100% prepayment for these jobs, as is also what I do.


 

SIMONA GLAVAN TUŠEK
Slovenia
Local time: 07:56
Slovenian to English
+ ...
Translation rates Mar 8, 2011

Not just non-payment, I'm deeply concerned about the rates project managers are looking for. The other day one company made a contact and asked me for my rates regarding translations from English to Slovenian and Slovenian to English. After I sent them my rates, I got an answer they were looking for a more modest offer. So I asked them what are the rates they are usually paying translators for their work. The answer was - 0,01 -0,02 € per word. You must be kidding, I mean, I'm a graduate translator, I'd studied for 5 years, paid for language courses abroad, took part in student exchange programs, I'm still learning, everyday, since language is a living system! I find such offers really offending! I thought Proz.com is actually trying to promote our occupation, the job we do. But it is not! It is quite the opposite! I'm quite disappointed, must say. Are translators really so desperate?
By the way, I really liked the title - Are we so cry for projects? Are we?


 

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:56
English to Czech
+ ...
A few comments Mar 8, 2011

Hi Simona et al,
just a few brief comments:
SIMONA GLAVAN TUŠEK wrote:
I thought Proz.com is actually trying to promote our occupation, the job we do. But it is not! It is quite the opposite!

As it has been mentioned several times elswhere in the Forums, this is a free market and ProZ can't dictate rates. If you don't like the rate your prospective clients propose, simply refuse them.

I'm quite disappointed, must say. Are translators really so desperate?

To me, it's some of the clients who seem to be desperate if they propose €0.00000000001 per word.


 

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:56
French to German
+ ...
Who's a desperado? Mar 8, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

(.../...)
SIMONA GLAVAN TUŠEK wrote:
I'm quite disappointed, must say. Are translators really so desperate?

To me, it's some of the clients who seem to be desperate if they propose €0.00000000001 per word.


Who's a desperado indeed?

Most of my current clients found me either through ProZ.com or through other channels. Either way, none of them contacted me along the lines of "Please send your CV, daily turnaround, best rates in USD and trados discount offer. We have up to 1 million words per year to be translated in your language pair!" and so on...

One of them is even in this business for over 40 years! So: where does the shoe pinch?


 

Bilanda Ban  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 07:56
English to Croatian
+ ...
When I think about it... Mar 8, 2011

Perhaps it's not all about despair, some will work for free in order to boost their resume and gain some extra experience, given that they have other sources of income, of course. It's not that I support this kind of practice, but I think it makes sense (to them, at least).

 

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:56
English to Japanese
+ ...
Why not a pro-bono translation? Mar 9, 2011

BBan wrote:

Perhaps it's not all about despair, some will work for free in order to boost their resume and gain some extra experience, given that they have other sources of income, of course. It's not that I support this kind of practice, but I think it makes sense (to them, at least).


If some of the translators are really trying to boost their resume and gain some extra experience, they are making a wrong choice. They could just volunteer for a pro-bono job and still gain the same experience and boost their resume. And I think one would feel better doing free charity work than risking non-payment, plus, working with an agency with a bad profile wouldn't make a good impression on your resume, does it?


 

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:56
English to Japanese
+ ...
All they care is whether you would accept their offer Mar 9, 2011

SIMONA GLAVAN TUŠEK wrote:

Not just non-payment, I'm deeply concerned about the rates project managers are looking for. The other day one company made a contact and asked me for my rates regarding translations from English to Slovenian and Slovenian to English. After I sent them my rates, I got an answer they were looking for a more modest offer. So I asked them what are the rates they are usually paying translators for their work. The answer was - 0,01 -0,02 € per word. You must be kidding, I mean, I'm a graduate translator, I'd studied for 5 years, paid for language courses abroad, took part in student exchange programs, I'm still learning, everyday, since language is a living system! I find such offers really offending! I thought Proz.com is actually trying to promote our occupation, the job we do. But it is not! It is quite the opposite! I'm quite disappointed, must say. Are translators really so desperate?
By the way, I really liked the title - Are we so cry for projects? Are we?


Sorry to disappoint you and excuse my bluntness, but I'm sure the agency you mentioned above doesn't care if you have a degree in translation or how many years of experience you have. All they're asking is whether you would be willing to work for the rate they are offering. Seems to me like they might as well take a 10 year old kid in school who's bilingual who wants to earn some pocket money to pick up some candies or icecream after school.


 

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:56
English to German
+ ...
One random observation Mar 9, 2011

Please forgive me if this is off topic.

During the years I couldn't help but notice that BB complaints regarding non-payment were given by the same "handpicked" crowd, over and over and over again. Names that I recognize very well from substandard applications and bizarre KudoZ answers. I wonder if there are any statistics in this regard.

Which means that if I see any negative BB entry by any of those special candidates who complain about non-payment, I don't give a ... uhm, much.


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are we so crying for projects?

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search