Kay Barbara
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:02
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 9, 2011

Hi all,

I know that this request is technically a kudoz question, however, as it is a monolingual Latin question I am not sure if it would reach anyone. Therefore I would like to draw on some knowledgeable members of the forums.

Basically I am looking for a modified version of the phrase "Hic sunt dracones" ("Here be dragons"). I would like to alter the phrase to mean "Here be lemmings". For the sake of simplicity I would like to go for the true lemming "lemmus".

So ultimately (I guess) I am asking for the correct form of lemmus to fit into above phrase...

"Hic sunt lemmi"?icon_smile.gif I should have opted for Latin instead of French back in school...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kay

Valeria Sciarrillo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:02
English to Italian
+ ...
Plural of -us is -i (here) Mar 9, 2011

Hi Kay,

In this case, yes, Lemmus would for sure be Lemmi in plural nominative case.
Besides, I'm not sure if the difference between "dracones" and "lemmi" would be a problem for the "feel" of the phrase.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:02
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Lemmi Mar 9, 2011

I agree with Kay.

See: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ipcrc/message/52836
"...Lemmi non sumus" = "We are not lemmings" is correct Latin..."

Kay Barbara
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:02
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Valeria & Jeff Mar 10, 2011

@Valeria: I do think (and hope) that "lemmi" changes the feel of the sentence.
As I am dealing with a source text pun which seems impossible to salvage when translating into German anyway, it does help my cause if "Hic sunt lemmi" has a lighter or comical sound to it than "Hic sunt dracones".

Thank you both!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed: Latin grammar

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search