Translating Haitian Birth Certificate
Thread poster: xxxSevie

xxxSevie
Local time: 21:42
English to French
+ ...
Mar 23, 2011

I am translating an Haitian birth certificate. The original is worded in a weird manner, the punctuation does not make sense sometimes, there are typos, etc.
Do I translate exactly so the feel is similar, or do I translate so it flows and is easy to read?
Thank you

[Edited at 2011-03-23 18:08 GMT]

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 19:42
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Make it understandable Mar 23, 2011

My advice would be to translate it so that an English-speaking reader can understand it. If the spelling errors are in the names of people, places, etc., you should leave them - these should not be translated anyway. If they are in the official text that does need to be translated, substitute the proper English translation including English punctuation. At the same time try to make the document look as much as possible like the original in terms of formatting: keep approximately the same text on the same line, similar fonts, the same spacing between lines, etc.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Birth Certificate Mar 23, 2011

I agree with Tina.

Except that if this is for an agency, I would also send them a note along with the translation (not part of the document itself) stating the existence of these anomalies in the source text and let them decide what to do with the information. If the client is the owner of the certificate, they will not want the mistakes included. However, if the agency's client is a business or other entity, they may, depending on the purpose of the translation, find this information useful.

xxxSevie
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translating Haitian Birth Certificate Mar 23, 2011

Thank you Tina and Jeff, now I know how to go forward.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Haitian Birth Certificate

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search