Proofreading
Thread poster: Williamson

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:25
Flemish to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2004

Before a manuscript is ready for print, it is being revised with regard to spelling in the language it is written in and with regard to typography.
With regard to typography, I am a newbie. Where can I find more information about typographical signs and the pre-press production process?

Raffaella Cornacchini  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:25
English to Italian
+ ...
info from Italy Mar 23, 2004

Hi Williamson,
I work in an Italian publishing house. Though Italian typograms may differ from English ones (BTW see www.neu.edu/styleguide/appendix_b.html - 4k - Copia cache - Pagine simili
for English typographical signs)always keep in mind this:
1) never use pencils, always use red and/or green pens for corrections (you can mix both in case you got plenty of corrections;
2) be legible, especially as far as names as concerned (you may know the name of the guy you are mentioning, the typosetter may not);
3) the larger the print, the easier the mistake,so always doublecheck what must be correct: title, name of the author, name of the publisher, price.
4) a good linguistic knowledge is an asset but it's not enough. You should have by nature an eye for details.
That said, I find proofreading really fun. I hate typos and think every book has a dignity of its own.
raffa1

Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:25
English to Greek
+ ...
Europa - Publications Office Mar 23, 2004

You can have a look here:
http://publications.eu.int/code/en/en-000500.htm
I think that what you are looking for is Chapter 6 in the Third Part.
This page is in English but it is also available in all EU languages.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search