An interesting poll for any CAT user
Thread poster: Catherine GUILLIAUMET

Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:37
English to French
+ ...
Apr 11, 2011

Hi,

I have received the Tradulinguas newsletter and found the annoucement of a pool the results of which might be of interest.

The pool is about splitting/joining sentences in the source segments.

The final results will be presented at the Corpus Linguistics conference, to be held in July in Birmingham (UK).
The author of the poll is Anna Frankenberg, Auxiliary Professor - ISLA & FCSH-UNL.

The preliminary results (visible after you fill in the short anonymous questionnaire) are very reassuring, I think, about quality of the produced documents.

It was this aspect which got me to postpone the purchase of a CAT.

Here is the link to the poll :
https://spreadsheets0.google.com/viewform?hl=en&hl=en&formkey=dGVmU3F1SC12bmQ2dlVFeFJCUjBZaHc6MQ

Have a nice day
Catherine

[Edited at 2011-04-11 10:47 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2011-04-11 11:36 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Inadequate questionnaire Apr 11, 2011

Unfortunately, the questionnaire failed to probe how easy or difficult it was to join or split segments and whether the respondents found that this had a serious effect. I have used Wordfast Classic for several years and have just recently started using Wordfast Pro. One of the main disadvantages of Wordfast Pro is that you have very little scope for changing segmentation. Wordfast Classic is really easy, so the occasional need to make changes in segmentation is no big deal.

That is one of the reasons why I shall continue to use Classic whenever possible. Another is the way that you can use the glossaries and TM on unsegmented documents that you are not translating and even add glossary items directly from those other documents.

Regards,

BDF

Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, and yes Apr 11, 2011

B D Finch wrote:

Unfortunately, the questionnaire failed to probe how easy or difficult it was to join or split segments and whether the respondents found that this had a serious effect. I have used Wordfast Classic for several years and have just recently started using Wordfast Pro. One of the main disadvantages of Wordfast Pro is that you have very little scope for changing segmentation. Wordfast Classic is really easy, so the occasional need to make changes in segmentation is no big deal.

That is one of the reasons why I shall continue to use Classic whenever possible. Another is the way that you can use the glossaries and TM on unsegmented documents that you are not translating and even add glossary items directly from those other documents.

Regards,

BDF

Hi BDF,

I agree that the questionnaire should have been developped further. Maybe, the author only wanted to show how important the "join/split" functions are for translators, contrary to some programmers apparent beliefs. I don't know, it's just an hypothesis of mine. It could explain why the CATs are not named, which would be mandatory if you wanted to compare the usability of those functions in the different CATs.

Yes, also, to Wordfast Classic.
As, for me, the possibility of splitting/joining segments was a true concern, I eventually bought WFC, which appeared as the most flexible in this respect
I didn't yet give a try to WFPro.

xxxjacana54  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
The way I work depends on the CAT tool I use Apr 11, 2011

B D Finch wrote:

Unfortunately, the questionnaire failed to probe how easy or difficult it was to join or split segments and whether the respondents found that this had a serious effect.

Precisely!

When I use MetaTexis, I feel very comfortable splitting or joining segments, and this is excellent and probably the main reason I'm so happy with it.

With Tag Editor I never found an easy way to do it and that bothers me. Splitting or joining is much easier with Studio, but even after many weeks of trials I've never ventured to use Studio for a real job... too many complaints on these forums and apparently unresolved issues.

Jost Zetzshe comments the following in the March ATA Chronicle: "With MS Word all but out of the picture as the interface in which translation is being done...". However, I admit that I like a lot of Word's features, and I know many translators who work in Word practically all the time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An interesting poll for any CAT user

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search