Footnotes in MS Word
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:19
German to English
Mar 24, 2004

I have MS Word 2002 and have just finished the first page of a document with a footnote inserted at the bottom of the page. But I can't figure out how to start a new page. Help would be much appreciated.
Kim

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 19:19
German to Romanian
+ ...
Could you be a little more specific? Mar 24, 2004

I don't quite understand what you mean.

If you have edited the footnote, there should be a floating toolbar where you can close the footnote and then contin ue working on the document as if it wasn't there at all.

But I am not sure that closing the footnote is your problem.

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Footnotes Mar 24, 2004

Elvira Stoianov wrote:

I don't quite understand what you mean.

If you have edited the footnote, there should be a floating toolbar where you can close the footnote and then contin ue working on the document as if it wasn't there at all.

But I am not sure that closing the footnote is your problem.

Hi Elvira,
Well, my instructions also tell me to "click CLOSE to close the Notes pane" but the Notes pane doesn't include a CLOSE feature. All I have is Insert and Cancel. At this time I have a page with the footnotes at the bottom and no way to proceed to the next page. The only alternative I have now to continue my translation is to close the document and start a new document for each new page. If I just scroll down after the footnote I will still be in the footnote rather than on a new page.

[Edited at 2004-03-24 15:46]

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Page Layout View Mar 24, 2004

Switch to Page Layout View: after finishing off with the footnote, you simply click back to the text body and continue typing.

You may have done something wrong: you should not be in the Notes pane, but in Footnotes. Are you sure you used Insert-References-Footnote? If so, and if you are in Normal View, there should be a separate Footnotes pane at the bottom of the page, together with a Close button. Better still, work in Page Layout View to see the page as it will be printed.
... See more
Switch to Page Layout View: after finishing off with the footnote, you simply click back to the text body and continue typing.

You may have done something wrong: you should not be in the Notes pane, but in Footnotes. Are you sure you used Insert-References-Footnote? If so, and if you are in Normal View, there should be a separate Footnotes pane at the bottom of the page, together with a Close button. Better still, work in Page Layout View to see the page as it will be printed.

[Edited at 2004-03-24 16:23]

Collapse

Nenija Hasanic
Nenija Hasanic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Just click the body text! Mar 24, 2004

Just move your cursor and click anywhere on the body text of your document.

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Footnotes Mar 24, 2004

Csaba Ban wrote:

Hello Csaba,
Thank you. Yes, I see that if I just continue typing in the text body that things will go on as normal. I haven't worked with footnotes much in Word. The client's guidelines for preparing the document stipulate that I am not to use the Word page numbering function but to indicate the new page number within the text. So I thought I would just start a new page (as is done in the essay I am translating) after each set of footnotes. In other words, I was trying to reproduce the pages exactly the way they are in the essay. But I guess that's not possible. Thanks again everybody.

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
CTRL + Enter Mar 24, 2004

Kim,

After moving the cursor back to the body of the text you can start a new page at any position using Ctrl + Enter. The footnotes which you have already entered will stay on the proper page(s).

Regards from Germany.
Bob

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Voila! Mar 24, 2004

That did the trick, Bob. Thank you.

[Edited at 2004-03-24 17:53]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Footnotes in MS Word

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »