Seeking circa 5000 word French document to translate into English
Thread poster: 2020Translation
2020Translation
Local time: 19:01
French to English
Jun 8, 2011

Hello all!
I am currently studying for an MA in translation studies and am new to Proz.com. I'm looking for a circa 5000 word French document which has never been translated into English. My preference was for something in the area of aviation or flight safety, either military or civilian. Unfortunately due to the expertise of the tutors, this cannot be highly technical. Can anyone suggest anything?
Many thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:01
English to Czech
+ ...
Contact Airbus or Dassault Aviation Jun 8, 2011

Get in touch with Airbus or Dassault Aviation. They may have what you need.

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Wikipedia articles Jun 8, 2011

2020Translation wrote:
I am currently studying for an MA in translation studies and am new to Proz.com. I'm looking for a circa 5000 word French document which has never been translated into English. My preference was for something in the area of aviation or flight safety, either military or civilian. Unfortunately due to the expertise of the tutors, this cannot be highly technical. Can anyone suggest anything?
Many thanks in advance!

You can have a look at Wikipedia articles.

In the flight safety domain, there are a number of articles with no link to other languages. That probably means that these are not a translation, and that they have not been translated.

For instance, the addition of
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestion_de_la_sécurité_aérienne
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sécurité_aérienne_en_France
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sécurité_aérienne_en_Europe
give about 5000 words.

Didier

[Edited at 2011-06-08 21:16 GMT]

2020Translation
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You - how long might it take?? Jun 30, 2011

Stanislav, Didier,

Sorry for the long delay in re-posting, but many thanks for your help. It gave me great ideas and the text I selected has now been accepted.

The next step is for me to estimate how long it might take me to translate the 6000-word document. Does anyone remember when they first started? I've never actually 'timed' any of the previous assignments, and I've never worked to a deadline before. I read on another post that a translator stated translating 5000/day for simple texts. Assuming an 8-hour day, the fact that I'm a beginner (at translating, not reading and writing French or English), and the fact that I would assess the text as semi-technical, I'm tempted to double the time and add some extra - does 20 hours seem excessive? This estimate includes proof-reading (many times!!) and formatting the final document. I'll also be doing this by hand as I have no CAT tools knowledge (yet).

I'd be grateful for any steers anyone may have!

Regards, and thanks again!

Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:01
Member (2009)
French to English
Double, triple your estimate Jul 1, 2011

5,000 words is lightning fast. I have occasionally approached that speed, but not as an average for an entire project. Generally things go faster as you go along and get your terminology sorted out. I think you may find that your "semi-technical" text seems more technical when you start to dig into it. But we are talking about ordinary professional translation speed. I like to really take my time over graded assignments. Maybe this is an irrational fear of red ink on my part, but I would leave a ridiculous amount of time for proofreading. I would budget a week - with the idea of using the weekend following for a few final tweaks. Good luck!

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Time yourself Jul 1, 2011

2020Translation wrote:
The next step is for me to estimate how long it might take me to translate the 6000-word document. Does anyone remember when they first started? I've never actually 'timed' any of the previous assignments,

Work for an hour, and count the number of words you have translated.

That time is only for a "raw" translation. You can then time yourself proofreading "many times" and doing a bit of formatting.

Or record the time it takes you to do the first (e.g.) 500 words, including proofreading, etc.

and I've never worked to a deadline before. I read on another post that a translator stated translating 5000/day for simple texts.

Read more. Between 2000 and 2500 seems to be the average.

Assuming an 8-hour day, the fact that I'm a beginner (at translating, not reading and writing French or English), and the fact that I would assess the text as semi-technical, I'm tempted to double the time and add some extra - does 20 hours seem excessive?

As Jenn, I find it very low.

Didier

Rebekka Búadóttir  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2011)
English to Icelandic
+ ...
It almost always takes longer than expected Jul 2, 2011

You should rather over-estimate the needed time for the translation than under-estimate. If you give yourself too little time at the start, it might force you to rush your translation in the end.

I find that translating often takes a lot longer than anticipated. I recently managed to "translate" 5000 words in around 7-8 hours. The text translated was my own essay, so it was more of a rewrite than a translation since I already knew the text very well. It was on a topic that I am well familiar with and I already knew most of the terminology in the target language, but it still took me 8 hours to translate the text.

2020Translation
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You!! Jul 5, 2011

Thank you everyone for your responses. They were really helpful, but also very enlightening.
Best Regards!
Yves

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking circa 5000 word French document to translate into English

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search