https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/200897-a_responsibility_as_a_translator_of_games_english_japanese.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
A responsibility as a translator of games (English/Japanese)
Thread poster: Yumico Tanaka (X)
Yumico Tanaka (X)
Yumico Tanaka (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 12:08
English to Japanese
+ ...
Jun 10, 2011

To Colleagues in translation of English/Japanese

今ゲームの翻訳をやってますが、Kill が頻繁に出てきます。
これを「殺せ」と訳さず「やっつけろ」とか「息の根をとめろ」に訳しています。
なぜなら
「殺せ」「殺人」 この二つの言葉はまったく同義(目的語が人間であるかどうかだけで)ですが、
「kill」「murder」の二つの言葉はまったく同義ではあ�
... See more

なぜなら
「kill」「murder」の二つの言葉はまったく同義ではありません。ネイティブの誰に聞いても「同じではない」「違う」という意見です。I killed it! を、I persecuted it to perfection!
という意味で使う場合もあれば、I ruined the chance!という意味で使う場合もあります。
日本語の「殺す」は明らかに意図的な、murderです。

こういう文化の違いをしらず一辺倒的に「殺せ」と訳してきた翻訳者の
責任は、それが日本人であれ異国人であれ、重大だと思います。

現代のゲーム文化に浸った小中学生高校生の日常のボキャブラリーに、「死ね」が
あること自体、問題です。日本社会だけでなく世界においてゲーム言語に対する規制が
ほとんどないことが問題なのでしょうが、世界の翻訳者がもっと良識と問題意識をもって
社会責任を果たすべきではないかと思います。

Fellow translators of English /Japanese,

In my recent work in game instructions, I realized a problem.

The job contained the word "kill" in so many instances all through.
and I hope every translator is aware that what connotations the Japanese word "殺す” has is not the same as with "kill".

"殺す” is equal to "殺人" in the field, only difference is the object of murdering is specified as the human being or not. It means MURDER,
while "kill" definitely is not the same as "murder".

The verb "kill" can be used in the contexts where it means "ruin" or "persecute it well" as follows:
I killed the chance.
I killed it to perfection!
However, the Japanese verb "殺す” never is used like that.

It is likely that the battle games have been translated by so many translators who used 殺せfor something like "Kill 300 mutants" not realizing the connotation the verb has in Japanese. If you are a native English speaker, keep reading the word "murder" 100 times everyday, how would you feel? At first you may feel unconfortable but you will get used it and won't feel anything bad after a while. That's already been happening in today's society. Today's teenagers' daily vocabularies include "die!" in Japan, and probably in many other countries too.

Isn't it time that we should do something about it?
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 02:08
Japanese to English
Hang on Jun 11, 2011

If the game includes the word 100 times in that context, isn't the problem with the game itself and not with the translator tasked with translating it?

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:08
Chinese to English
Not sure that vocabulary is the point here Jun 11, 2011

In the Grand Theft Auto games, you have the option of running over old ladies for extra points, and shooting people just for fun.
In the MMORPGs you often control armies of thousands, and you can direct them to rape and pillage entire cities.

I'm not sure that the problem here lies with the way a single word has been translated. These games are violent no matter how you translate them. And to be fair, they've been around for a number of years now, and I haven't heard any repor
... See more
In the Grand Theft Auto games, you have the option of running over old ladies for extra points, and shooting people just for fun.
In the MMORPGs you often control armies of thousands, and you can direct them to rape and pillage entire cities.

I'm not sure that the problem here lies with the way a single word has been translated. These games are violent no matter how you translate them. And to be fair, they've been around for a number of years now, and I haven't heard any reports of a great crime wave sweeping across Japan or anywhere else. Turns out people are quite capable of distinguishing between onscreen fantasy and real life; and quite capable of ignoring bad translation when we mess it up.
Collapse

Yumico Tanaka (X)
Australia
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Missing my point. Jun 11, 2011

TransAfrique wrote:

If the game includes the word 100 times in that context, isn't the problem with the game itself and not with the translator tasked with translating it?

I am concerned from a viewpoint of a member of society, rather than a translator doing its job.
"100 times" is an exaggerated number. The actual number of times will vary according to the individual, of course. Yes of course if 100 times it was repeated and if it caused a mental disorder to a translator, it's another story.

I only wanted to see if there are other translators who can see and agree my views on this matter. This is something that should have been a concern in the education field, so I may consult those who are in the field.

Thanks for your posting!

Yumico Tanaka (X)
Australia
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes that's the status quo. Jun 11, 2011

Phil Hand wrote:

I'm not sure that the problem here lies with the way a single word has been translated. These games are violent no matter how you translate them. And to be fair, they've been around for a number of years now, and I haven't heard any reports of a great crime wave sweeping across Japan or anywhere else. Turns out people are quite capable of distinguishing between onscreen fantasy and real life; and quite capable of ignoring bad translation when we mess it up.

Thank you for posting your idea.

Oh yes there have been some reports just from my memories in Japan, on what kind of internet games the murderers were playing, what they listen to. Ultimately the authorities may put a finger down on a medical term to blame for the criminal's mental condition, but those circumstancial influences are documented often in media, perhaps a lot in gossippy magazines.

I don't know how much regulations are imposed on these games. I feel if there were regulations it is not strict at all. I will try to research on this.

The fact it has been getting away for so long does not justify that it is okay.
As a parent, I am just concerned. I will seek further consultation in more appropriate fields.
I wanted to know if there are other translators who have similar concerns on this matter.

Again, thanks for your posting.

Alain Dellepiane
Alain Dellepiane  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:08
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
That's already very striclty regulated Jun 12, 2011

If you look at any game box (http://bit.ly/lRV3y3) you will notice a little label going from Everyone to Mature (ESRB/US system), from 3 to 18 (PEGI/EUR system) and from A to Z (Cero/Japanese system)

These state directly to which audience a title is aimed for and define exactly what kind of language and content they contain.

So, if you buy a 3+ game, it can only contain "Depictions of viol
... See more
If you look at any game box (http://bit.ly/lRV3y3) you will notice a little label going from Everyone to Mature (ESRB/US system), from 3 to 18 (PEGI/EUR system) and from A to Z (Cero/Japanese system)

These state directly to which audience a title is aimed for and define exactly what kind of language and content they contain.

So, if you buy a 3+ game, it can only contain "Depictions of violence that is humorous and is set in a cartoon, slapstick or child-like setting." but no "Pictures or sounds likely to be scary or frightening to young children".

On the other end of the spectrum, adluts are free to buy 18+ titles and enjoy "Depictions of apparently motiveless killing or serious injury to multiple numbers of innocent human-like characters" and "Sexual expletives or blasphemy" to their heart's content.

So, as a parent you can do an informed choice and pick the best content for your kid by simply looking at the games' cover.

As a professional translator, you just need to learn how these systems work [1][2][3][4]. They are very well though out, no need to start a personal crusade
Collapse

Kay Barbara
Kay Barbara
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:08
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
The urban myth: violent game-->violent person Jun 13, 2011

Alain Dellepiane wrote:

So, if you buy a 3+ game, it can only contain "Depictions of violence that is humorous and is set in a cartoon, slapstick or child-like setting." but no "Pictures or sounds likely to be scary or frightening to young children".

On the other end of the spectrum, adluts are free to buy 18+ titles and enjoy "Depictions of apparently motiveless killing or serious injury to multiple numbers of innocent human-like characters" and "Sexual expletives or blasphemy" to their heart's content.

So, as a parent you can do an informed choice and pick the best content for your kid by simply looking at the games' cover.

As a professional translator, you just need to learn how these systems work [1][2][3][4]. They are very well though out, no need to start a personal crusade

I whole-heartedly agree with Alain, no need for a witch hunt...

I couldn't possible know what "reports" relating to violence/murder and games there have been in Japan but somehow I assume that they have been more or less the same media hype you get in other countries as well...

I have to admit that blaming so-called "killer games" for violent behaviour may be rather convenient for politicians and media and - to most non-gamers - it probably seems like a valid conclusion if some offender was actually playing such a game.

But if you think about the many many millions of people (young and old) playing these allegedly violence-promoting games you can't help but wonder why there isn't "a Columbine" every other week?

Playing violent games may be but one factor among several but it is usually portrayed as the sole scapegoat in many media. I would bet any money that the reason for this is that journalists most of the time hardly know anything of the subject matter they are writing about.

A point in case: I have just read an article on a German website which presented the research of German neuropsychologist which was actually quite scientific and interesting to read but the journalist still got one game's genre horribly wrong. So journalists who know even less about this sensitive matter are likely to come up with much graver mistakes or wrong conclusions.

I would appreciate and prefer more research about whether virtual and real-life violence are connected in any way as opposed to gossipy media hype...

By the way, as a parent you can always have the upper-hand and keep your children from playing games you don't deem appropriate (if you are IT-savvy enough, that is).

Yumico Tanaka (X)
Australia
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your opinion Jun 13, 2011

Kay Barbara wrote:

Alain Dellepiane wrote:

I whole-heartedly agree with Alain, no need for a witch hunt...

I couldn't possible know what "reports" relating to violence/murder and games there have been in Japan but somehow I assume that they have been more or less the same media hype you get in other countries as well...

I have to admit that blaming so-called "killer games" for violent behaviour may be rather convenient for politicians and media and - to most non-gamers - it probably seems like a valid conclusion if some offender was actually playing such a game.

But if you think about the many many millions of people (young and old) playing these allegedly violence-promoting games you can't help but wonder why there isn't "a Columbine" every other week?

Playing violent games may be but one factor among several but it is usually portrayed as the sole scapegoat in many media. I would bet any money that the reason for this is that journalists most of the time hardly know anything of the subject matter they are writing about.

A point in case: I have just read an article on a German website which presented the research of German neuropsychologist which was actually quite scientific and interesting to read but the journalist still got one game's genre horribly wrong. So journalists who know even less about this sensitive matter are likely to come up with much graver mistakes or wrong conclusions.

I would appreciate and prefer more research about whether virtual and real-life violence are connected in any way as opposed to gossipy media hype...

By the way, as a parent you can always have the upper-hand and keep your children from playing games you don't deem appropriate (if you are IT-savvy enough, that is).

Thanks for all the info regarding regulations.

My son has a special need and never played and is unlikely to play tose games. I didn't enter this as a crusade to abolish those games. I think there may be more people who can see my point in Japanese people who knows the difference in connotation brought by "kill" and 殺す.
So I think I should revert this onto English/Japanese group.

Those who chose to play higher levels are supposed to be qualified to play them and I hope that's what happens, but it is not what I am talking about.

Even if the regulations are there, the judgements could be made with some misconceptions in some areas of languages. This is only one verb that I am talking about, and I wondered how immense this kind of games can affect the mindset of people who are engaged in the games.

You pulled out the Columbinem incident so I must say this. One Columbine is too many.

I am not saying all violence is brought by war games. Look at today's movies and listen to the popular music lyrics. It's all reflecting today's human society. Well I am not wasting any more of your time with my personal opinions. I am just concerned with where today's society is, just like many. But as a translator I realized that there may have been a thousand of translators in the past who may have used the word "KOROSU" for "kill" and may have unintentionally contributed to the brainwashing or affecting the mindset of Japanese youths. The influence of games can be a heated topic but I suppose we can leave it to the professionals in the field.

[Edited at 2011-06-13 14:17 GMT]

Kay Barbara
Kay Barbara
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:08
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Without being aware of the Japanese connotations... Jun 13, 2011

I think that you can choose from a wealth of expressions other than just "kill". To be honest I have not come across "kill" very often, I have encountered similar phrases using "defeat/hunt/vanquish/eliminate/destroy/best" etc. Of course the usage depends on the context of and register used in the game but you should be able to find a way around "kill" if you don't like it.

Having said that, I think that during a project you should think less about how you feel and more about what
... See more
I think that you can choose from a wealth of expressions other than just "kill". To be honest I have not come across "kill" very often, I have encountered similar phrases using "defeat/hunt/vanquish/eliminate/destroy/best" etc. Of course the usage depends on the context of and register used in the game but you should be able to find a way around "kill" if you don't like it.

Having said that, I think that during a project you should think less about how you feel and more about what the author's intention is and what the target audience expects - and translate accordingly. Or maybe you should only translated games up to a certain "violence content" to avoid this dilemma?

Good luck
Collapse

Yumico Tanaka (X)
Australia
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I know. The problem exists for those who don't. Jun 13, 2011

Kay Barbara wrote:

Having said that, I think that during a project you should think less about how you feel and more about what the author's intention is and what the target audience expects - and translate accordingly. Or maybe you should only translated games up to a certain "violence content" to avoid this dilemma?

Good luck

Thank you for your opinion, Kay.
Exactly my point, if you read my first post. The "kill" has those meanings but most Japanese translators, either professional or amateur, would select the word 殺す because that's the first one to appear in the dictionary. I used more mild expression in my task. There are also more literature-like ways to express it like 息の根を止める but kill=殺す is so much more prevalently accepted in the Japanese society, without realizing the difference in the connotations.

I already finished this task and am offered another game translation, and I checked the file. There is no word "kill" so I accepted it. There are always some challenges in any task, but if you are not happy with the direction where the client wants to go, you should not accept the job, or find other ways of expressions that still serves the purpose of the client.

I just wanted to know how others are doing.

Thank you for your post.

Yumico Tanaka (X)
Australia
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your opinion Jun 13, 2011

Alain Dellepiane wrote:

Thanks for the above info.

Please see my reply to Alain & Kay, sorry for the delay in replying you!

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 02:08
Japanese to English
For the record Jun 13, 2011

I tend to see far more 倒す than 殺す in the games I play.

Krzysztof Łesyk
Krzysztof Łesyk  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:08
Japanese to English
+ ...
Strongly disagree Jun 14, 2011

Tanaka-san, let me first say that I very strongly disagree with almost everything you wrote in your first post. Unfortunately I do not have enough time now to express all my objections, so let me concentrate now just on your statements that I find factually incorrect - I will possibly write about the moral/ethical dimension of the matter later.

First, (and I do realize criticism like that from a non-native Japanese speaker directed at a native one seems outrageous and possibly ridic
... See more
Tanaka-san, let me first say that I very strongly disagree with almost everything you wrote in your first post. Unfortunately I do not have enough time now to express all my objections, so let me concentrate now just on your statements that I find factually incorrect - I will possibly write about the moral/ethical dimension of the matter later.

First, (and I do realize criticism like that from a non-native Japanese speaker directed at a native one seems outrageous and possibly ridiculous) it seems to me your emotions are affecting the way you interpret the Japanese word 殺す. In your own words, 殺す means "murder" and NOT "kill" - a statement that I (together with a bunch of dictionaries) disagree.

Let's look first at a Japanese definition of 殺す. This is how 日本国語大辞典(Shogakukan Unabridged Dictionary of the Japanese Language) defines 殺す. The following is a copy of the first two definitions given (in the order that they are listed in the dictionary. I omitted the examples of historical usage, but the rest is quoted verbatim):
「1)他人や動物などの生命を絶つ。命を取る。殺害する。
2)(不注意で死なせた、または、手を尽くしたが死に至らせたという気持ちをこめていう語)死なせる。亡くす。失う。」

Now, as futile as translating a dictionary may seem, let me try, so that colleagues not speaking Japanese can follow (I welcome any corrections that other Japanese speakers, native or not, are willing to offer):
"1) To end a life of a person or animal (I would translate など here as "or other organism"). To end life. To slay ("murder" is often given as a translation of 殺害, but here I avoid it on purpose, for reasons explained below).
2) (meant to express a nuance of letting [subject omitted] die due to carelessness, or allowing [subject omitted] to die in spite of doing everything in one's power to prevent it) To let [subject omitted] die. To lose."

Now then, let's look at how Oxford Dictionary of English defines "murder":
"
noun
1 the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

verb [with obj.]
1 kill (someone) unlawfully and with premeditation."

Other definitions (informal use such as "winds at the summit were murder) omitted to save space.

I think the difference is obvious. The Japanese term 殺す DOES NOT have the connotations of the English term "murder", even though your emotions tell you otherwise, Tanaka-san. No matter how you try to justify it, 殺す in Japanese is as broad (if not broader) a term as "kill" is in English. You can 殺す a person, sure, but it will not always be murder (just as you can kill, but not murder, a person during war or by accident). You can also 殺す a bug, breath, a runner in baseball and a bad smell.

I am really running out of time here, so my conclusion will be brief (if anyone snickered at this point, know that I did too). When in a game you are asked to kill 10 boars (or 100 mutants), you are asked to 殺す them - simple as that. You are not asked to "get them" (やっつける) or to "defeat them/choke the life out of them" (息の根を止める). You are asked to kill, plain and simple, and having objections toward violence is no excuse to distort the message anr try to sanitize the text. In my opinion such conduct is similar to distorting numbers on a birth certificate you are translating "because she looks so young, people should not know she ws born in 1947" (yes, I am exaggerating here, but not much). As a translator, your (and my, and everyone else's) job is to accurately convey the message in a different language - if as a mother or as a person you cannot do that, that's an issue your clients should be notified of so that they can ensure their message is delivered with as little distortion as possible - activism has its place, but not in translation (at least in my opinion).
Collapse

Yumico Tanaka (X)
Australia
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! finally my thoughts are deemed right. Jun 14, 2011

Krzysztof Łesyk wrote:

First, (and I do realize criticism like that from a non-native Japanese speaker directed at a native one seems outrageous and possibly ridiculous) it seems to me your emotions are affecting the way you interpret the Japanese word 殺す. In your own words, 殺す means "murder" and NOT "kill" - a statement that I (together with a bunch of dictionaries) disagree.

Let's look first at a Japanese definition of 殺す. This is how 日本国語大辞典(Shogakukan Unabridged Dictionary of the Japanese Language) defines 殺す. The following is a copy of the first two definitions given (in the order that they are listed in the dictionary. I omitted the examples of historical usage, but the rest is quoted verbatim):
「1)他人や動物などの生命を絶つ。命を取る。殺害する。
2)(不注意で死なせた、または、手を尽くしたが死に至らせたという気持ちをこめていう語)死なせる。亡くす。失う。」

Now, as futile as translating a dictionary may seem, let me try, so that colleagues not speaking Japanese can follow (I welcome any corrections that other Japanese speakers, native or not, are willing to offer):
"1) To end a life of a person or animal (I would translate など here as "or other organism"). To end life. To slay ("murder" is often given as a translation of 殺害, but here I avoid it on purpose, for reasons explained below).
2) (meant to express a nuance of letting [subject omitted] die due to carelessness, or allowing [subject omitted] to die in spite of doing everything in one's power to prevent it) To let [subject omitted] die. To lose."

Now then, let's look at how Oxford Dictionary of English defines "murder":
"
noun
1 the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

verb [with obj.]
1 kill (someone) unlawfully and with premeditation."

Other definitions (informal use such as "winds at the summit were murder) omitted to save space.

I think the difference is obvious. The Japanese term 殺す DOES NOT have the connotations of the English term "murder", even though your emotions tell you otherwise, Tanaka-san. No matter how you try to justify it, 殺す in Japanese is as broad (if not broader) a term as "kill" is in English. You can 殺す a person, sure, but it will not always be murder (just as you can kill, but not murder, a person during war or by accident). You can also 殺す a bug, breath, a runner in baseball and a bad smell.

I am really running out of time here, so my conclusion will be brief (if anyone snickered at this point, know that I did too). When in a game you are asked to kill 10 boars (or 100 mutants), you are asked to 殺す them - simple as that. You are not asked to "get them" (やっつける) or to "defeat them/choke the life out of them" (息の根を止める). You are asked to kill, plain and simple, and having objections toward violence is no excuse to distort the message anr try to sanitize the text. In my opinion such conduct is similar to distorting numbers on a birth certificate you are translating "because she looks so young, people should not know she ws born in 1947" (yes, I am exaggerating here, but not much). As a translator, your (and my, and everyone else's) job is to accurately convey the message in a different language - if as a mother or as a person you cannot do that, that's an issue your clients should be notified of so that they can ensure their message is delivered with as little distortion as possible - activism has its place, but not in translation (at least in my opinion).

Thank you for your opinion. Your disagreement means a lot to me, thanks.

Yes, the definitions in the dictionaries are set there for just over a century between Japanese and English, so I should not disagree, but I am talking about the word that brings about. And as time goes by, the perception of readers also drastically change. There may be many words everyday that needs some editions even in a dictionary.
By the way, I don't think every word in different languages has an exact, total, perfect counterpart in one word, in other language. Almost, but not perfectly. That's why it has been explained in details in a dictionary. and that's why we translators struggle but enjoy pursuing the right expressions to convey the meanings.

I would like you to remember that I am talking about the connotation, a feeling that the word brings to Japanese people in general.

I already agreed on that a translation job that you have a conflict should not accept the job.

"To kill" is not always "殺す”. It can be translated as 殺(や)る、やっつける、息の根を止める or many other expressions, depending on the literature, context, background, how many times the word was repeated in the same phrase, and more for a natural Japanese to read without feeling that they are reading something directly translated from other language. If a translator is defined as the "draft" translator, then this is not necessary but if the next translation checker missed this point and let it go by because the word is in the dictionary, and cannot say it was "incorrect" then that is the problem that I am talking about. I was wondering if that may have happened, and perhaps it has.

You said "殺す” does not have the connotation of "murder" and I strongly disagree, but again, it depends on the context.
However, today's youth use [死ね」 in their daily conversation even at home. They take the word so lightly, so perhaps to them the word [殺す」 may have also become more common or somewhat closer to English way of use, but not totally, I believe.

I will talk more later on this as I am in the middle of work... Sorry.

Thanks for your time anyway

[Edited at 2011-06-14 05:17 GMT]

Yumico Tanaka (X)
Australia
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Also, a big relative point here is that this is about a game, on the screen. Jun 14, 2011

Yumico Tanaka wrote:

なぜなら
「kill」「murder」の二つの言葉はまったく同義ではありません。ネイティブの誰に聞いても「同じではない」「違う」という意見です。I killed it! を、I persecuted it to perfection!
という意味で使う場合もあれば、I ruined the chance!という意味で使う場合もあります。
日本語の「殺す」は明らかに意図的な、murderです。

こういう文化の違いをしらず一辺倒的に「殺せ」と訳してきた翻訳者の
責任は、それが日本人であれ異国人であれ、重大だと思います。

現代のゲーム文化に浸った小中学生高校生の日常のボキャブラリーに、「死ね」が
あること自体、問題です。日本社会だけでなく世界においてゲーム言語に対する規制が
ほとんどないことが問題なのでしょうが、世界の翻訳者がもっと良識と問題意識をもって
社会責任を果たすべきではないかと思います。

Fellow translators of English /Japanese,

In my recent work in game instructions, I realized a problem.

The job contained the word "kill" in so many instances all through.
and I hope every translator is aware that what connotations the Japanese word "殺す” has is not the same as with "kill".

"殺す” is equal to "殺人" in the field, only difference is the object of murdering is specified as the human being or not. It means MURDER,
while "kill" definitely is not the same as "murder".

The verb "kill" can be used in the contexts where it means "ruin" or "persecute it well" as follows:
I killed the chance.
I killed it to perfection!
However, the Japanese verb "殺す” never is used like that.

It is likely that the battle games have been translated by so many translators who used 殺せfor something like "Kill 300 mutants" not realizing the connotation the verb has in Japanese. If you are a native English speaker, keep reading the word "murder" 100 times everyday, how would you feel? At first you may feel unconfortable but you will get used it and won't feel anything bad after a while. That's already been happening in today's society. Today's teenagers' daily vocabularies include "die!" in Japan, and probably in many other countries too.

Isn't it time that we should do something about it?

Additionally, this is about a game, picture on the screen.

When you see a creature "kill" (by which I assume that it attacks with a weapon and the attacked is fallen down) how can a player confirm that it was really 殺した?

殺す is to make someone dead. how can a player know that the creature on the screen is dead? so correctly, the "kill" here in the game context, it really means "attack""beat" in a true Japanese sense.

Of course though, "to kill" was presented in the text, then a translator will put it as is, not change the word. However, the The meaning of "kill" is not the exactly the 殺す. I hope someone really understand my point.

[Edited at 2011-06-14 05:56 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A responsibility as a translator of games (English/Japanese)

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »