Translating institutions in abstracts?
Thread poster: Ward Whittaker

Ward Whittaker  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:16
Portuguese to English
Jun 19, 2011

I'm doing a Brazilian Portuguese scientific abstract that will form a chapter in a book.
Should I Anglicize Brazilian universities such as:

Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte, Caixa Postal 1524 – Campus Universitário Lagoa Nova, CEP 59072-970, Natal, Rio Grande do Norte, Brasil.

I have quite a few of them and although they could be done, I'm just not sure what the standard practice is.
Any help appreciated,
Ward

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not in the context you provided Jun 19, 2011

It's an address. Postal workers, sorters and recipients need to be able to read it in their own language.

I generally translate the names and provide the original name in parenthesis, but practice varies, and context counts. Here is another discussion on the topic:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translatio
... See more
It's an address. Postal workers, sorters and recipients need to be able to read it in their own language.

I generally translate the names and provide the original name in parenthesis, but practice varies, and context counts. Here is another discussion on the topic:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/5517-should_the_names_of_universities_be_translated.html
Collapse

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 08:16
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Addresses? Jun 20, 2011

I have never seen addresses in an abstract. As for the name of the institution I agree with David, you could put the original name in parentheses or leave the original name and put the translation in parentheses.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating institutions in abstracts?

Advanced search

BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search