Machine conversions: Castilian to LA Spanish
Thread poster: gfichter

gfichter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:37
English
+ ...
Jul 27, 2011

A customer has asked potential savings from allowing translators to do machine conversions from Castilian Spanish to Latin American Spanish (or vice versa). The source is English, and they want two versions of Spanish, Castilian for Spain, and another for Latin America (e.g. es_MX)
The same question comes up frequently for Chinese, where the conversions are generally thought to be problematic. But how about Spanish?

Are there good tools that work for Spanish, and what woul
... See more
A customer has asked potential savings from allowing translators to do machine conversions from Castilian Spanish to Latin American Spanish (or vice versa). The source is English, and they want two versions of Spanish, Castilian for Spain, and another for Latin America (e.g. es_MX)
The same question comes up frequently for Chinese, where the conversions are generally thought to be problematic. But how about Spanish?

Are there good tools that work for Spanish, and what would be a reasonable discount for the second language?
Collapse

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jul 28, 2011

gfichter wrote:
Are there good tools that work for Spanish, and what would be a reasonable discount for the second language?

No, there aren't any good tools for this. L. Am "Spanish" is a multiverse of its own, with several variants, which basically precludes the whole notion of a quick fix.

Personally, I don't consider any discounts of this nature reasonable, and as a translator, I find the desperate money grubbing and exploitation in evidence somewhat distasteful, to say the least.

[Edited at 2011-07-28 09:56 GMT]

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:37
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Latin American Spanish? Jul 28, 2011

gfichter wrote:

they want two versions of Spanish, Castilian for Spain, and another for Latin America (e.g. es_MX)

Even leaving the feasibility of autoconverters aside, this idea in itself sounds a little suspect.
There might be a couple of more or less general features of Latin American Spanish that set them apart from the Spanish spoken in Spain, but not that many. On the other hand, the differences between various Latin American dialects themselves can be quite significant. I.e. if you wanted to do this right, you'd need to produce a separate version for each country. Otherwise, you might as well just prepare one "international" version written by a translator who knows the major regional variations and tries to avoid the most problematic words and phrases (i.e. ones that have markedly different meanings in different countries or may not be understood in some). For an Argentinian audience, a text in Mexican Spanish may not be significantly better than a text in "international" Spanish.

Similarly, I'd expect LA Spanish to be a motley blend of Mexican, Puerto Rican and a bunch of other dialects, with a good amount of English influence thrown in. I'd love to hear what locals have to say on the issue. Perhaps you'd just use Mexican Spanish on the assumption that that's the largest subgroup?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Machine conversions: Castilian to LA Spanish

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search