Is there a standard declaration for police translations
Thread poster: Ward Whittaker

Ward Whittaker  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:41
Portuguese to English
Sep 4, 2011

Hi All,
I am translating part of a British domestic violence report by a Brazilian in Britain and the part to be translated is in Portuguese because it is a direct speech statement.
I have been asked to provide a declaration for the police to accompany the translation although this is not a sworn translation.

My question is, is there a boilerplate statement for this type of thing or do I just use something like:

I, XXX, a native speaker of British English and a professional translator, with 11 years experience hereby declare that this statement has been faithfully translated to the best of my abilities etc bla bla bla.

If anybody has a standard declaration and would be kind enough to share it with me, I would be very appreciative.
Regards,
Ward

Direct link Reply with quote

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:41
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Something like that Sep 5, 2011

If you put this on your letterhead and add something about your knowledge of and experience in Portuguese, then it sounds about right. I can send you a copy of my declaration if you like - it says pretty much the same thing but in a bit more formal language.

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:41
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Add a few more details Sep 5, 2011

I am a bit surprised that they sent the statement to be translated to Brazil, because the British police organisations have a network of tried and tested translators and interpreters working for them, but so what.

The “standard” text would refer to the interpreter being present at the time the statement was taken and it would describe the method of obtaining the statement and the interpreter’s role in it. That does not apply in this case.

The only thing I would do is to add whose statement it is, when and where it was taken and in what language. The date of your translation would be there, with your signature, as a matter of course.

The declaration should finish with the sentence: I now present the English translation of the above statement as: Exhibit WW/1. (Your initials and No. 1 as this is going to be the first/only exhibit you are going to present).
Because the circumstances are somewhat unusual, I am not sure if this sentence is necessary, but that’s what they are used to, so it may pre-empt questions to be raised in court about a missing exhibit ID number.

Regards,
Judith

Ward Whittaker  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:41
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tina and Judith Sep 5, 2011

I came up with something a little more formal and have already sent the job to the client and they said that they were happy with what I had written, cheers, Ward

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a standard declaration for police translations

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search