https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/208633-certificate_of_authenticity_in_original_documents_language.html

Certificate of Authenticity in original documents language?
Thread poster: inesventu
Sep 28, 2011

Hello,
I'm completing my first set of translations and including apropiate notarized certificate of authenticity. Now I have a big doubt about the following. It will obviosly be in english b/c this is where I live and the place of the original documents, yet the translations are for the spanish embassy. So, they won't be able to understand what it says. What is the protocol in this case. They may need a document that verifies my authenticity as a translator in spanish, or not?
I woul
... See more
Hello,
I'm completing my first set of translations and including apropiate notarized certificate of authenticity. Now I have a big doubt about the following. It will obviosly be in english b/c this is where I live and the place of the original documents, yet the translations are for the spanish embassy. So, they won't be able to understand what it says. What is the protocol in this case. They may need a document that verifies my authenticity as a translator in spanish, or not?
I would really apreciate anyones help on this one?
Thanks
Collapse

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:31
Russian to English
+ ...
Who's your client? What's the client's guidance? Sep 29, 2011

I don't consider it the translator's job to be making the decisions in such matters. I'd recommend proceeding as follows:

a. Ask your client whether he/she/it has been provided with any guidance. Comply with it unless there's a problem with doing so. (If you are asked to certify the authenticity of the source document, for example, don't do it unless you also happen to be a forensic document examiner.)

b. Otherwise, follow your usual procedure. Tell your client somethin
... See more
I don't consider it the translator's job to be making the decisions in such matters. I'd recommend proceeding as follows:

a. Ask your client whether he/she/it has been provided with any guidance. Comply with it unless there's a problem with doing so. (If you are asked to certify the authenticity of the source document, for example, don't do it unless you also happen to be a forensic document examiner.)

b. Otherwise, follow your usual procedure. Tell your client something like "this is my usual procedure. If the Spanish embassy later tells you something else is needed, give me a written statement with someone's name and contact information telling me what I need to do."
Collapse

inesventu
inesventu
TOPIC STARTER
That helps Sep 29, 2011

Thanks a lot for your response. I find your advice useful basically just follow my usual procedure unless I'm directed otherwise.
Just one quick clarification the certificate of authenticiy I'm talking about is not regarding the authenticity of the content but rather stating that my translation is true to the best of my ability, and I will take my credentials to a notary public and have the statement notarized, yet since this is the US it will all be in english, so I'm just wondering what
... See more
Thanks a lot for your response. I find your advice useful basically just follow my usual procedure unless I'm directed otherwise.
Just one quick clarification the certificate of authenticiy I'm talking about is not regarding the authenticity of the content but rather stating that my translation is true to the best of my ability, and I will take my credentials to a notary public and have the statement notarized, yet since this is the US it will all be in english, so I'm just wondering what use do the folks in spain have for it given it's not in spanish for them to read.
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:31
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Oh, they will understand English just fine Sep 30, 2011

inesventu wrote:

the translations are for the spanish embassy. So, they won't be able to understand what it says.

What makes you think that? I'd say it's a safe bet that most persons working in a major embassy in the US, and definitely an overwhelming majority of those whose job it is to deal with the public (e.g., consular officials), will read English with at least a reasonable level of proficiency.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certificate of Authenticity in original documents language?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »